Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheriff Joe's 'Pedal Vision'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by azidpa View Post
    lets start with ,

• firing his SWAT Team after they supported his opponent in the last election

• long term battle with the county board of supervisors

• arresting a BoS member after a judge threw out the original case

• grand standing media whore, easy to go for the soundbites and leave the outstanding felony warrants alone

don't believe the hype
    As to the Firing his SWAT Team............. if they were stupid enough to publicly take a stand and weren't Civil Service.... well that just the way the cards fall in EVERY county/city department.

If your job depends on the outcome of an election..... vote how you want to but keep your mouth shut in public. Don't give them a reason to fire you.

I honestly thought everyone knew about this aspect of CYA.... that is why Civil Service is a good thing for rank and file in departments.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While I do not live in AZ and I may not always approve of his methods, I've always supported the treatment he's given those prisoners. Prison is not supposed to be a vacation. Prison should be as uncomfortable as possible so that those who serve their term will think twice before they take some sort of action that could land them back in prison.

firing his SWAT Team after they supported his opponent in the last election
    If you were in his shoes, would you trust members of your department that openly supported your opponent during your re-election? IMHO, nobody in uniform should openly support one side or the other during an election.

The smarter move would have been for these guys to stay "neutral" and vote as they saw fit.

long term battle with the county board of supervisors
    This is nothing new. I don't know of very many Sheriffs who do not end up butting heads with the Board of Supervisors. This is why in some cases the BoS started a Police Department. They like the ability to hire and fire a Police Chief - something they cannot do with a Sheriff.

arresting a BoS member after a judge threw out the original case
    Not familiar enough to comment one way or another.

grand standing media whore, easy to go for the soundbites and leave the outstanding felony warrants alone
    Sheriffs are political animals. The only chance that they have to keep their jobs is to "grandstand" and let those who voted them in that they are keeping their campaign promises. It is their report card.

Think about it this way, if you worked at a job where you had to campaign to keep your job every 4 years, don't you think that tooting your own horn as often as possible makes a lot of sense? Especially in Law Enforcement where no matter what you do, the majority of the people may or may not support your decisions. JM2CW.
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 04-05-10 at 13:44.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosDJackal View Post
    While I do not live in AZ and I may not always approve of his methods, I've always supported the treatment he's given those prisoners. Prison is not supposed to be a vacation. Prison should be as uncomfortable as possible so that those who serve their term will think twice before they take some sort of action that could land them back in prison.
    Carlos - Arpaio is in control of the Maricopa County Jail, not a prison, there is a huge difference.
    Last edited by Irish; 04-05-10 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Two words.

Half Rations.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolacopusmc View Post
    What is so bad about him?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26cQ...os=etdlqnQ_wrI

Feedback Score
    Maybe it's me, but I find it hypocritical when a fat ass has issues with obesity...

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    I've never been crazy about everything he does outside of the jails, but he's on the right track on the inside. He is pompous and a big time dickhead, but he's the only one at least pretending to do anything in that state.

Feedback Score

way to go joe

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...alth-care.html

Judge denies Arpaio's attempt to take over jail health care
    21 commentsby Yvonne Wingett - Apr. 5, 2010 05:11 PM
    The Arizona Republic .

A Maricopa County Superior Court judge on Monday dismissed Sheriff Joe Arpaio's attempt to take control of the department that provides health care to inmates.

Arpaio last year sued the Board of Supervisors and county administrators, saying they mismanaged the agency.

Judge Robert Oberbillig granted the county's motion to dismiss.

Arpaio said he would appeal the decision and take the fight to federal court.

The suit is the latest in a string of legal losses by Arpaio and County Attorney Andrew Thomas against the supervisors. Thomas stepped down as county attorney Monday to run for higher office.

Disputes among county officials over the past year and a half have cost taxpayers at least $3.2 million through March 15, according to an Arizona Republic analysis.

This lawsuit cost at least $61,000 as of mid-March, mostly for in fees for attorneys hired by the board to defend itself.

"It's good news that the courts recognize that the lawsuit never should've been filed in the first place," said board attorney Wade Swanson. "If the sheriff was really interested in improving the jails, he would've spent less money on attorneys and more money on actual improvements. It's ultimately another unfortunate waste of taxpayer dollars by the sheriff."

Arpaio filed the suit last fall. The claim alleged, among other things, that Correctional Health Services administrators encouraged the Sheriff's Office to temporarily increase staff in certain wards to appease auditors from the system's accrediting agency.

In October 2008, U.S. District Judge Neil V. Wake determined that care in the jails was unconstitutional, and that same month, auditors pulled accreditation in the jails.

Since 1998, the county has paid $13 million in legal fees, settlements and jury verdicts to inmates and their families for injury and death claims against Correctional Health Services.

With a budget of about $50 million, Correctional Health Services treats the sick and injured, tracks medical conditions, and prevents diseases inside of the county's six jail facilities. About 130,000 inmates move through the system each year.
    the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Maybe all TV sets should operate that way! Seriously, have a capacitor bank that requires one minute of pedaling to 10 minutes of viewing but one could be able to program it to less "efficiency" (1 minute of pedaling for 1 minute of viewing, etc.).

I don't like much of what he does (they are humans, afterall) but this one is superb. May God bless the man in this endeavor!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12