Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good survival book

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Wow! I'm glad I checked this thread. Great suggestions from everyone. I also watch Les Stroud whenever Survivorman is on. Will be getting his book and the others mentioned by Ed.

I'm doing research for a book about survival after a doomsday scenerio, and up until now, I've been scrounging around for odd bits of info.
    Don't want to hijack, but I'm looking for any tested urban survival techniques and general detection avoidance in rural and city neighborhoods. Any additional info is well appreciated from anyone.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    The go to guy for many of the younger outdoor, survival, bushcraft experts is a fellow called Mors Kochanski. He has been at the business end of living outdoors on purpose rather than by accident for many years.

Mors lives up in Canada where he runs two or three courses a year. For those of you who read survival and outdoor living books he has written some excellent books and pamphlets on the subject. I can only recomend them as a must have for the serious students bookshelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushcraft-Outd.../dp/1551051222

If you check you tube there are also some videos of the old man sharing his knowledge.

He came to the UK around two years back and the course he ran was full within an hour of being announced.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    ........ I can only recomend them as a must have for the serious students bookshelf.

And you would be right, I do have a copy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And you would be right, I do have a copy.
    I should have known.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I should have known.

It is a very good book. There are a lot of useful tips and ideas that are clearly not copied from some other tome, but the results of real-world experience, as you pointed out.

I have an old copy of Lofty Wiseman's book, and this one is easily as good. The Sergeant Major's book does cover more environments, however.

Feedback Score
    It is a very good book. There are a lot of useful tips and ideas that are clearly not copied from some other tome, but the results of real-world experience, as you pointed out.
    I think we can easily say that Mors was out there whilst most others were still an itch in their respective fathers pants.

I have an old copy of Lofty Wiseman's book, and this one is easily as good. The Sergeant Major's book does cover more environments, however.
    The Big Mans book is a good introduction for the person interested in being able to cope well outdoors. My copy is also very old.

Ray Mears is the current guru for the military and many civilians - as for Bear Grylls,,,,,,sorry I nearly chocked then.

But Sir, and I am sure you will agree, you can read all the books you want but there is nothing like getting cold, wet, hungry and muddy whilst learning what it is all about.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

But Sir, and I am sure you will agree, you can read all the books you want but there is nothing like getting cold, wet, hungry and muddy whilst learning what it is all about.
    Indeed!

I have chatted with several folks about their love for gadgetry. Then you ask them "Have you ever used that doo-dad to start a fire in a windy rainstorm with numb hands? How did it go, with all the little magnesium shavings flying away, and your fingers not working?"

You typically get a blank look......

Feedback Score
    I have the SAS survival guide- actually 3, one in my BOB, a small palm sized one in my truck, and another in my library. I also have Les Strouds Survive in my library.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Feedback Score
    What do you guys think of Bradford Angier? I know some of the content (or all of the content) is a little old school, but I enjoy his matter-of-fact tone. He survived in the woods like I survive in my living room.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My parents bought me the whole Foxfire series for Christmas last year. There is some awesome information in them.
    Yes my mom still thinks Im 5 when Christmas comes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast