Thread: Officer Down Bleeder Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMedic View Post

Also thoracic injuries bleed but they typically dont bleed much if that makes sense, enough to be messy but not enough to matter physiologically unless something has been hit internally and there isnt anything you can do about that anyway.
    Some might want to have a look at this video if they haven't seen it before. It's a sucking chest wound so it's a tad bit gross, but it demonstrates the lack of blood (and why it's called a sucking wound :P).

http://www.naemt.org/Education/V06%2...0Wound%201.mpg

Feedback Score
    PhilaPD - Unfortunatly those issues are not limited to the Philadelphia area, they are widspread and represent the status quo in the majority of our cities so I completely understand you predicament and what you are trying to do. I gave you my opinion as to how best to care for a downed brother while holding him in your lap in the back of a patrol car. I really do think that it is the best solution for most of our colleagues to be pulled into the back of a patrol car and taken to the closest trauma center and that is what I would expect of my team members as well. I am merely outlining some potential issues that you need to consider ahead of time. I stongly believe that you shouldnt use a hemostatic agent in your situation, but that is internet advice from someone you dont know from Adam and what you choose to do is up to you. I am not in any way trying to discourage you, in fact I encourage all peace officers to do what you are doing and in our community we actually volunteer and provide them with free condensed TCCC classes to assist with that. My point is that, in my opinion, the equipment I outlined above is the best way to accomplish what you need with the fewest complications.

Danny Boy - Great video! Thats what I was attempting to explain, and that is what the gloved hand should fix (although commercial devices work well too).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Some might want to have a look at this video if they haven't seen it before. It's a sucking chest wound so it's a tad bit gross, but it demonstrates the lack of blood (and why it's called a sucking wound :P).

http://www.naemt.org/Education/V06%2...0Wound%201.mpg
    This is going to be a dumb question, but humor the neophyte. I have only had a few formal first aid classes. How is the guy in that video not dead? Isn't the wound directly over where the heart would be? What would make a hole that large?