Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
Is using multiple 4x4's good enough with direct pressure for most G/S wounds? Talking to one of are long time Fire Medic Units thats all they say they use but then again thats all they are supplied with. One of my OIS had a responding officer shot in the left lower cheek, jaw, neck area with #4 shotgun pellets and from what I had seen 4x4's would not cover the area. One officer KILOD last year was shot with a 7.62x39mm and the bleeding was massive from reports given. What kind of dressing can handle these types of wounds? Most times its multiple hits with exits so how do you plug the holes just to get them to the E/R alive.
Hey I've stopped a lot of bleeding in this manner over the years as well and there is nothing wrong with sticking to the old tried and true approaches.

Especially where the more dynamic stuff may not be available.

Using an Israeli Bandage and hemostatic agents is just whats new and now. It's kinda like using dial up for internet. It works but not as quick and in some cases you gotta go new school if you want better results faster.

Oh and in my kit along with the new school stuff is standard old gauze padsas well.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend regardless is to have a roll of curlex (rolled gauze). It's great for packing a wound that is deep and or wide.

And if you pack it into a wound it facilitates better results from direct pressure.