Guys, thanks for taking time to drop in on this.

I read Larry's comments years ago and stuck it into the ol memory banks. I have finally acquired enough ARs/lowers to fulfill my wants and needs and have turned my attention toward something that I have wanted for a while- a quality 7.62 semi-auto. I don't really want to go uber tactical, just something handy, robust, and with the essential accessories (optic, light, sling, and mags). I have considered DSAs offerings, but since I know nothing more than the recommendations of others as far as civilian offerings I am not set in anything.

I was initially drawn to the models with short barrels, railed covers and HGs, because hey, that's what I am used to with my work guns and is kinda my "default" setting. If the screw-on rail thing works and is able to deal with the real world then I guess that would be a solution, and I can easily attach a bit of rail for mounting a light where I want it.

If I recall, Larry advocated the 16" gun, but if the 18" run with better recoil characteristics and reduce failure points, well, no-brainer for my use.

What's up with the DSA A2 type sights? Unnecessary? They seem a bit better protected from knuckle-draggery than the standard type, but unless they are definately more robust, does it even matter? I have been using A2 sights for a long time and I am proficient with them, but I am not really stuck on them if it means more hassle or unnecessary compromise.

What is the preferred mounting method for optics? Seems like the T-1/H-1 would be fine with the included mount or the M3 (cuz I got one) in the low Aimpoint mount. Does the stock height in relation to the rail make mounting low-powered variables marginal in relation to cheek-weld?

How do the DSA comps work, particulary the Belgian Short? Is it worth throwing on a PWS or similar comp/FH or marginal return on resources?

I tend to prefer the feel of a solid stock better than wire side-folder, so I kinda lean toward that. I do have an affinity for M4 type adjustable stocks, but I would rather start out with the "stock" stock before modifying anything.

What are the problem parts? What would be prudent to have extras of? What kind of life-cycle/replacement schedule do parts have? Will there be any compatability issue with DSA and other metric FAL suppliers? Are there any specific tools that are required for maintenance/repair?

What simple upgrades improve the system? Mag release upgrade/improvement, grip, furniture, etc? Are they simple things or will they require smithing?

What's up with mags? Any particularly good or bad ones? Are the 30s more of a hassle than their extra bullets are worth? I see how much larger they are, but do they work? I assume that they are sub-optimal, so I am thinking that I will stick with the 20s and 5s (should I ever feel the need to schwack a deer with it) unless there are good higher cap options.

What are you doing for sling attachment, specifically a VCAS?

The two that DSA offer that most pique my interest are the SA58 Spartan and Carbine, 16" or 18". The Spartan is significantly more expensive but the product details are lacking and I really don't know enough past the obvious (sights, grip, NP3, duracoat, +2 mags) to tell the difference or value gap.

Sorry for the littany of questions, I just realized that asking to be taught everything is pretty silly.

Thanks all.