Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
Sorry I assumed MIOX was a process rather than a brand but it's not really a "filter" either. I use the "steri-pen" which is an alternative to the brand name MIOX but does the same thing. I assumed the MIOX used AA batteries as well.

cleaning the water is the only thing the MIOX and SteriPen have in common. they are two very differant devices.
the MSR MIOX pen creates a Mixed Oxidant solution that acts in the same way iodine or chlorine does to kill organizms. the up side to the MIOX is when treating large qtys of water, like jerry-cans or drums. the down side is the same as with all chemicals, it takes time, up to 7 hours for really nasty bugs when the water is cold.
the SteriPen on the other hand is a UV Light. UV has been used for a long time for steralization and cleaning purposes. the UV disrupts and breaks down the DNA of the critters in the water and renders them inert and unable to multiply, which is what makes us sick. the downside to the SteriPen is it is limited to one litre of water at a time at 90 seconds per litre. the bulbs are good for 8,000 doses and the AA batteries actually last quite a while (i use one.) so the SteriPen is better suited for solo or small group trips.