Thread: What Calibre?

Feedback Score

What Calibre?

Looking at getting a couple more AR's after tax time. Should the SHTF; What calibre would be the easiest to come by? I'm not a hunter but .458 SOCOM would be fun though not practical. What do you guys think just stick with .223/5.56? or add .308 or 6.8 or some other cal?

Feedback Score
    5.56 for most practical purposes in an AR type rifle with a 1/7 rifling twist. Second place is the 7.62x39 in an AK platform comes next(or another rifle with full magazine curvature....not AR). 6.8 SPC is a superior cartridge if you can afford to train with it and keep adequate supplies of ammunition on hand.

If you are setting up your rifle for longer engagements(300+ meters), or you need precision shooting, then a .308/7.62 NATO rifle such as a M14, G3, or DSA FAL would be good choices. However, these rifles tax your carry weight considerably. Additional ammo weight means less ammo, less equipment, less food, less water, more strength/energy depleted during walking, and you are more prone to injury if you have to move in a hurry.
    Last edited by Marcus L.; 02-22-09 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Don't get an AR in 7.62x39, that's what AKs are for. How about extra parts, mags, and ammo instead of a new gun or two? Perhaps a reloading setup? Maybe some training too?

Marcus, your "precision" rifle choices for over 300 meters has got me scratching my head. Think I'd have better luck with a 5.56 AR than my FN FAL. Did you just throw out a list of .308 semi auto rifles or have you shot all of hem past 300 meters. Because if I was recommending .308s for past 300 meters, I'd recommend a Savage or Remington bolt gun or the DPMS LR308. I have experience with all three, mind you.

Feedback Score

more ar's

The biggest reason why I want a couple more AR's is for my boys. I would like for hem to have one when they are of age. That is why I'm thinking of adding another calibre, just for a little variety. However I can easily see where staying consistent in calibre would make life easier, and probably cheaper. Training is on the way when I can find the time this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Marcus, your "precision" rifle choices for over 300 meters has got me scratching my head. Think I'd have better luck with a 5.56 AR than my FN FAL. Did you just throw out a list of .308 semi auto rifles or have you shot all of hem past 300 meters. Because if I was recommending .308s for past 300 meters, I'd recommend a Savage or Remington bolt gun or the DPMS LR308. I have experience with all three, mind you.
    A standard FN FAL is a poor choice for a precision rifle. I guess I should have been more specific about that. Indeed you are right in that an AR-10 would be a much better choice. The DSA FALs with medium and heavy barrels are a big improvement in accuracy over the FN FALs. Given the right setup, a modern DSA FAL is a fine weapon. I ran about 500rds through all three up to 600yrds in a two week rifle course, and I've shot M14s and G3s extensively over the years. The poster sounds like he wants a rifle that will also be used at closer ranges, so I didn't recommend to him a 600+ yard setup.
    Last edited by Marcus L.; 02-22-09 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HwyKnight View Post
    The biggest reason why I want a couple more AR's is for my boys. I would like for hem to have one when they are of age. That is why I'm thinking of adding another calibre, just for a little variety. However I can easily see where staying consistent in calibre would make life easier, and probably cheaper. Training is on the way when I can find the time this year.
    In that case, a couple of Colt M4s in 5.56 would be ideal. You could also go for a couple of quality AKs in 7.62x39 if you really want some variety.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus L. View Post
    A standard FN FAL is a poor choice for a precision rifle. I guess I should have been more specific about that. Indeed you are right in that an AR-10 would be a much better choice. The DSA FALs with medium and heavy barrels are a big improvement in accuracy over the FN FALs. Given the right setup, a modern DSA FAL is a fine weapon. I ran about 500rds through all three up to 600yrds in a two week rifle course, and I've shot M14s and G3s extensively over the years. The poster sounds like he wants a rifle that will also be used at closer ranges, so I didn't recommend to him a 600+ yard setup.
    Good stuff, thanks for elucidating and sharing. Of the three listed, which one did you prefer?

Feedback Score

Think I'll try this

I think I'm going to go with a .308 SASS type for one. Since I already have a DPMS AP4 I think the second will be a good quality M4 type in 5.56. Then later if I feel the need for different calibres I can just get the upper I need.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Good stuff, thanks for elucidating and sharing. Of the three listed, which one did you prefer?
    All things considered, I liked the DSA FAL the best. It was better balanced and lighter than the M14, didn't kick as bad as the G3, and its control locations were easier to reach. Accuracy of the FAL isn't quite as good as the G3 or M14, but as a heavy hitting mid ranged battle rifle it gets the job done.