Thread: Flash suppresser comparison videos.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Flash suppresser comparison videos.

Two videos from Brownells comparing the flash suppression of various models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqoUMUkro78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCakxvd9oc0

Feedback Score
    I had been told the Vortex has the physics behind the design to make it the most effective and the video shows just how well it works compared to the A2. Thanks a lot for the links!

Feedback Score
    SWAT Magazine did an article on this (March, 05) awhile back using high speed camaras at night to do this comparison. If you can find it, it was an interesting write up.

Feedback Score
    EXcellent video...thanks for posting.

The Phantom seemed to perform well too. Anyone tested these for effects on accuracy?
    Last edited by Redhat; 02-18-09 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some friends and I played around with this in a less scientific way while we were stationed at ft. bragg. We tried GI A2, vortex, and phantom and vortex on a 14 1/2 barrel. Vortex was the clear winner of our nonscientific evaluation. The phantom did well and placed second but the difference in all 3 were pretty clear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    EXcellent video...thanks for posting.

The Phantom seemed to perform well too. Anyone tested these for effects on accuracy?
    I changed the birdcage fh on my 16" RRA with a Smith Vortex and did not see any negative change in accuracy. Have not used any other fh except those two.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i have used a phantom and it didnt lose any accuracy compared with the a2 to my knowledge.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to have a Phantom...never noticed any change in accuracy...I got rid of it because the sharp front edge was tearing the hell out of all my rifle cases...

Ive been thinking of going to a Vortex...the flash hider is one of the few non-standard parts still on my carbine
    Last edited by Ridge_Runner_5; 02-22-09 at 12:57.

Feedback Score
    No surprise which one did the best. I had a YHM Phantom, but mine was the comp/brake. I like to hog hunt at night so I changed to the Smith and no comparison, especially when using XM193 loads. Them puppies flash with the YHM.

Feedback Score
    Anyone ever try out the Phoenix? http://www.libertycans.net/Phoenix.html

It looks like a combination of the phantom and the vortex. could be promising and might get rid of that tuning fork thing the vortex does.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.