Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions on 180gr 40 S&W OAL and over-pressure dangers...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I nearly crapped when I looked at Montana Gold and they had NO 40 cal bullets in stock...
    The death of .40S&W has been greatly exaggerated!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    The death of .40S&W has been greatly exaggerated!
    Agreed. 9mm, which I own and shoot, has become a friggin snooze. I'm wanting to play with something different. I fired a half a box of 40 through by old G22 two weeks ago, and felt re-energized.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ran the data for the powder I do have (Tite Group), and their starting load for 180 gr is 4.2 and already just over 900 fps. I'm not reconciling this thread with the load data.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have access to a bunch of Tite Group. Not sure of the availability of any pistol powders right now, but based on this thread, I'm probably going to source some real jacketed 180 gr bullets. I'd like to be around 900 fps from a G22.

My goal isn't super pleasant ammo, but rather a warm practice load that's safely close to a hotter carry round.
    I'd be very careful with an older Glock. (Pre-2010?) They had a large unsupported area at the feed ramp. I'd only reload lightly with that. No Tightgroup, either. It has high spikes.

Later chambers are better. Still, don't load high with Tightgroup.

Consider coated bullets. They will launch as fast as plated / jacketed with less pressure / powder, are usually more accurate due to better obturation, and cost less. 180 gr for .10 each if you find a sale.

Feedback Score
    Ran the data for the powder I do have (Tite Group), and their starting load for 180 gr is 4.2 and already just over 900 fps. I'm not reconciling this thread with the load data.
    I've found books to be a bit optimistic with velocities. I'd give that minimum load data a try.

Titegroup will work but IMO it's not ideal for a chamber with less support than others. I already mentioned the coated bullets. .401 180 gr.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was looking over the brass I made yesterday and all of it has the bulge. Almost all of it was fired in the Gen 4, so the newer Pistol's chamber isn't that much better than the old days.

I also realized I don't have a caliber conversion for my Dillon. So at this point, I'm leaning towards buying a case of 40 and saving myself the whole ass ache. $75 caliber conversion, $12 single stage shell holder, and I'd still have to buy bullets. Plus the time lost that I could be loading rifle ammo. Doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks, guys.

Feedback Score
    I was looking over the brass I made yesterday and all of it has the bulge. Almost all of it was fired in the Gen 4, so the newer Pistol's chamber isn't that much better than the old days.

I also realized I don't have a caliber conversion for my Dillon. So at this point, I'm leaning towards buying a case of 40 and saving myself the whole ass ache. $75 caliber conversion, $12 single stage shell holder, and I'd still have to buy bullets. Plus the time lost that I could be loading rifle ammo. Doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks, guys.
    It's probably a mild swelling you have. That's okay. It's the 6 o clock guppy that is a problem.

A couple times this year I've found new .40 180 fmj for $305 a 1k shipped and bought.

But it's an election year and that will go away.

Feedback Score
    Both .40 s&w and 9mm parabellum have max pressure of 35k. .40 s&w has more muzzle energy because it has higher case volume to hold more powder.

In terms of sensitivity towards bullet setback, 9mm could be worse because of its lower case volume.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tangolima; 05-20-24 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    It's probably a mild swelling you have. That's okay. It's the 6 o clock guppy that is a problem.

A couple times this year I've found new .40 180 fmj for $305 a 1k shipped and bought.

But it's an election year and that will go away.
    Aim Surplus has some really acceptable prices on 40 cal defense and practice ammo. $0.32 per round for some fmj before taxes and shipping.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My G23 made in '06 has been just fine with thousands of rounds of my own reloads, probably 70% of it with Titegroup.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast