Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a Tisas 9mm. Lets see how she runs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Tell your gunsmith to make your extractor look like mine in the pic. Also tension it properly.

Not a super expensive job. Probably $50 ish

Those guns are not assembled by gunsmiths. The extractors need some attention.

Feedback Score
    Here's something that you don't see every day. Fitting a 9mm extractor using the same method as fitting a .45 extractor. It takes more time and effort but yields great results. I do mine this way and know a few others who do also.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...t#post-3329387

Here's another post that touches on the subject of fitting minor caliber extractors using the same .45 method.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/tu...#post-13924410

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I tried the gun today with the tensioned extractor. Fired 50 rounds and had 1 failure to extract.

So I bought a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor. Should be here Sunday.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiribulus View Post
    I do see that the extractor is too long. Those who know 1911s a thousand better than I do (which wouldn't take much) say that long extractors are common on production pistols.
    Hey Tirib! I drop in here once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Well I tried the gun today with the tensioned extractor. Fired 50 rounds and had 1 failure to extract. So I bought a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof extractor. Should be here Sunday.
    Go to this LINK to read all about fitting an external 1911 extractor correctly. There's more to it than simply dropping one into the slide. Tension is just one of the three basic areas that need to be addressed when fitting an extractor and is last on the list to be addressed. The other two are geometry and deflection.

FWIW, I prefer EGW extractors for two reasons. One is that they're shorter than the others which means there's less work during fitting. Two is that they have extra "meat" in all the right places to allow custom fitting to every slide that's ever come across my bench. Good luck with the Wilson extractor.

Fitting a 9mm extractor so that the edge of the hook pushes against the flat immediately ahead of the case rim is the most common, fastest, and easiest method which makes it a favorite of 'smiths. But, in my experience, it's not the best method as I touched on in post #12. Ask your 'smith about it and watch him scratch his head.

This post may be of some interest.

C 1/66 Armor - A 2/67 Armor - CSC 2/67 Armor - HQ 2/67 Armor
    Cold War 70s and 80s

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Finally some good news.

With the Wilson extractor ordered I decided to just crank on the extractor. I've been fairly gentle with it since I didn't want to over do it. Well apparently I just needed to use my man hands and put some torque on it.

Shot 100 rounds today with total reliability. Then I did the 10-8 extractor test for 20 rounds. It fully extracted all rounds. 3 of them did fly back at 6 o'clock, which isn't ideal, but it functions now.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12