Thread: 2024 308 Carbine options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I have two fairly lightweight lightweight .308 AR setups:

First is the POF Revolution DI. This feels just like an AR-15, because it pretty much is. AR-15 BCG, AR-15 sized receivers. With the adjustable Riflespeed gas block, it's a great suppressor host, even with the gassy Omega can.

Next is the S&W M&P10. The original lightweight ambi AR10, it's not as light and compact as the POF, so mine is more of a DMR, with 1-6 LPVO and integrated bipod handguard. Mine is equipped with an SLR adjustable gas block, but it's not quickly adjustable like the Riflespeed, so the rifle is not the best suppressor host. For that reason, I use the short and less gassy Sandman K.
    Last edited by masakari; 05-13-24 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    The problems the Indians had with their 308's showed up after they starting using India produced crap ammo, I think it might have been steel cased, the rifles ran fine with the Western sourced ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You can't trust anyone in the Indian .Gov. Corruption is rampant, they're gangsters and just love the Russians. They like to switch back and forth between Western and Russia but when push comes to shove, they'll fall on the Russian side and leave the Western powers hanging out to dry.
    Correct on use of indigenous (crap) 7.62 ammo causing the first group of 70,000 rifles to choke and the second batch getting embargoed.

The Indians usually specify offset production in their contracts (a portion of parts and assembly to be accomplished in India). Waiting on the Russians to set up or expand Indian AK production came to a complete stop after the start of the Ukraine invasion.

Mumbai pretty much canceled the Russian deal, lifted embargo, and executed the second SIG buy. They're probably still shooting crap indigenous 7.62.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Correct on use of indigenous (crap) 7.62 ammo causing the first group of 70,000 rifles to choke and the second batch getting embargoed.

The Indians usually specify offset production in their contracts (a portion of parts and assembly to be accomplished in India). Waiting on the Russians to set up or expand Indian AK production came to a complete stop after the start of the Ukraine invasion.

Mumbai pretty much canceled the Russian deal, lifted embargo, and executed the second SIG buy. They're probably still shooting crap indigenous 7.62.
    Thanks, good to know.

Every time I see their police, they're carrying beat to shit High powers that look like they were made in the 50's and were drug down a gravel road for several miles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Will echo others' SCAR experience. I got a couple hundred rounds of 'familiarization fire' on the Mk17 some years ago; it was enough to make me never want to own one. Later on, when the optic breakage issues became public, my reaction was along the lines of, "wow, shocking." It was the worst recoiling weapon I'd ever shot, but I chalked it up to the light weight. I also hated the reciprocating CH. I had assumed that FN had improved it since, but do not have current knowledge. As long as FN refuses to warranty suppressed use, I doubt I'll ever give it a chance.

That said, pretty sure Knights is still the king of the AR10 hill, but for the price they're currently commanding, as well as the fact that it feels like they're perpetually out of stock everywhere, there's other good options.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems like building an AR10 is a lot less scary than it used to be also. I see more and more homebuilt large frames popping up on the socials. If I wanted another .308, I'd strongly consider this route.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems like building an AR10 is a lot less scary than it used to be also. I see more and more homebuilt large frames popping up on the socials. If I wanted another .308, I'd strongly consider this route.
    No offense, but I'd say you are wrong. There is literally a thread a week on the Hide where some ding dong has screwed up building his AR10. It isn't as plug and play as the AR15 which leaves plenty of opportunity for dunder-heads to do their thing, then whine incessantly about how MFG X should do this or that different.

That said, if you pay attention and purchase your components wisely, even I managed to do it correctly on the first try. Go Figure.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have a SCAR-17, a MR-762, FAL, Hk-91, etc. The SCAR isn't particularly hard recoiling. I certainly never noticed anything. I did notice that it was super handy to carry. I have owned my current one for 8+ years and I have yet to bust an optic. Now I have typically had Nightforce or Acog optics, no junk. My SAR-3 (a Greek HK-91) did manage to bust my Aimpoint M4 (nicely fixed by Aimpoint). I really don't understand all this recoil talk with regard to the SCAR. I will say different people are more recoil sensitive than others, but I feel like I would notice if it was remarkable.

I have been running a Surefire Socom for most of the 3+ K I have through the gun so I guess I am just lucky.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    I have a SCAR-17, a MR-762, FAL, Hk-91, etc. The SCAR isn't particularly hard recoiling. I certainly never noticed anything. I did notice that it was super handy to carry. I have owned my current one for 8+ years and I have yet to bust an optic. Now I have typically had Nightforce or Acog optics, no junk. My SAR-3 (a Greek HK-91) did manage to bust my Aimpoint M4 (nicely fixed by Aimpoint). I really don't understand all this recoil talk with regard to the SCAR. I will say different people are more recoil sensitive than others, but I feel like I would notice if it was remarkable.

I have been running a Surefire Socom for most of the 3+ K I have through the gun so I guess I am just lucky.
    +1 about SCAR 17 recoil. Never understood the complaint, and I run a SOCOM flash hider on the end of mine. I have over 3000 rounds through mine now (2012 mfg, Belgian). Zero issues other than the lack of a shoulder on the barrel to mount suppressor adapters/flash hiders effectively.

Having said, the DD5V3 is slimmer and handles better. With the newer lower back pressure cans, DI isn't the disadvantage it was with the older Surefire, AAC and Dead Air cans. Still, my DD5V3 runs great with a RC2 K can.