Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone still using a DA/SA pistol?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    DA/SA is what got me comfortable to carry with one in the chamber; knowing I had the safety of the long DA first pull, but the option to cock the hammer for that first shot if possible.

I carry a P239 specifically for the DA/SA aspect of it. I shoot it a lot at the range. It shoots really well and has light recoil.

Also, my Beretta 92 and P226 DA/SA will always be in my safe and rotated in as what I'll grab for bump in the night.

eta:

Carrying my P239 is pretty much how I became comfortable to carry strikers with one in the chamber nowadays. My P239 will always have a place in my heart. And despite its weight, in a good holster, it really just flattens out and feels like nothing more than a pancake inside my waist band. There are definitely options that carry easier and have more capacity than the P239, but not with the DA/SA option and the sweet shootability of the P239.
    Same here. I own several Glocks and really like them. But I keep going back to my 239 for off duty carry. I put a SRT and an Armory Craft flat trigger in mine and it is a fantastic gun for those two reasons as well as the reasons you mentioned.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I carry Langdon 92 Compact DAO .
    What holster do you carry it in?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I carry Langdon 92 Compact DAO that Ernest did for me a few years back..
    I'm totally jealous! Maybe one of these days I'll unload some junk and buy something nice...

I still have a place in my heart for DA/SA autos and have several in the collection. I don't carry them ever or really even shoot them that much anymore but I love them all the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Many of my pistols are DA/SA. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    The handgun that I shoot and carry the most is my CZ P01 with a decocker. I originally bought it for appendix carry. When I’m shooting steel for time I usually never notice the difference between sa and da. Also great for dry fire practice. I shoot it better that most striker fired, except HK P7, just not as well as a sao.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    It pisses off the RO's sometimes but I will cock the hammer on the draw with my SIG if the opportunity presents itself.
    I do the same thing with my old "trusty" FNP !!!!!!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    My first semi auto was a Colt 1911, but I actually learned how to shoot (marksmanship and trigger manipulation) on a DA/SA revolver. I shot the same 1911 for 20 years in USPSA and IDPA, achieving B class in USPSA and Expert rating in IDPA. So I can say that I am familiar with the system. Then I tinkered with the striker fired polymer for roughly 10 years shooting IDPA and training, made it to Master class in IDPA. Then I thought I would give the DA/SA pistols a go at it. Made Master in IDPA with a stock Beretta Vertec. My favorite DA/SA now are the CZ P07 (bought for $375 used) and the Beretta LTT Centurion. I shoot the CZ P07 better than custom $3000 1911 in the same caliber.

Recently had a chance to shoot another custom 1911 9mm side by side with the LTT Centurion. Same drill. The accuracy was much better with the custom 1911, speed/time was surprisingly slightly slower. I contributed the slower speed with the lack of trigger time with the 1911s. I don't shoot them much any more, I spend most of my practice and training with TDA and striker guns. The 3.5 lb trigger on the custom 1911 made a tight 4" group at 10 yards (yes Irene, 10 yards) in the -0 zone of the IDPA target shootinng the 5x5 IDPA classifier. We're not talking about slow fire, take your time, one shot at a time, NRA slow fire. There are four draws, one reload, one transition to head shot and one 5 shots strong hand only. The heavy barrel, 4", kept the muzzle flip to a minimum.

The DA/SA Beretta's group at the same distance/drill was still within the 8 inch -0 zone but more spread out. I did have 4 rounds out of the -0. The speed/time was surprisingly much faster.

Shooting from a rested position on a bench, the single action 1911 does make small 1" group vs. maybe 2" with the DA/SA gun.

This is one drill, one day. But I've pretty much produced the same results in several years of practice. I really enjoy shooting DA/SA more now than single action. I guess if I get rid of all my DA/SA pistols (ain't gonna happen) and go back to the 1911 full time, the results would swing the other way.

Concealability - the compact 4" 1911 win hands down. Slim, short and lighter, it disappears in a quality IWB holster while feeling much more comfortable. The chunky grips and heavier Beretta is no fun to carry in an IWB rig, concealing is a challenge. I tried appendix carry with the Beretta like all those cool kids but it doesn't work for me. The CZ P07 is a great size for carry, as it's about the same size as the all time favorite G19 favored by lots of operators (internet and real world).

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    What holster do you carry it in?
    Sorry for the late response, Sam - I just saw this.

I carry it in a JM Custom Kydex IWB holster that Tony Mayer made for me. Straight drop, full guard, DCC double clip. Works great with my Foundation belts from EDC belt company. Bryan shut down the belt company, but Tony is still making great holsters.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I'm totally jealous! Maybe one of these days I'll unload some junk and buy something nice...

I still have a place in my heart for DA/SA autos and have several in the collection. I don't carry them ever or really even shoot them that much anymore but I love them all the same.
    I have one of the old full-size Vertec's that he did for me a long time ago, along with a pair of PX4's and a pair of 92 Compacts. They are very smooth and work well.

That old Vertec is probably my fave. I took it to a Larry Mudgett class and it did not disappoint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123