Thread: Gen 4 Glock 20 and hot Hard Cast lead ammo

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I did use the hot stuff in a G20 and later a G20sf or Gen 4 (I can't recall at the moment)

The really hot stuff would cause the occasional malfunction. Messing around with aftermarket springs, etc, increased the number of malfunctions.

I don't have them anymore.

I recommend not going beyond "warm" loads for maximum reliability.

200 gr at 1100 fps, 180 gr at 1200 fps, that sort of range.

I never tried anything over 200 grs because when I'd read / watch reviews malfunctions seemed common.

I'd go with a hardcast 200 gr @1100 fps for woods protection/ penetration. Not a super-wide meplat, either. Just a common shape.

Underwood is normally hot stuff, I've fired quite a bit of it. I'd want 40 rounds with zero malfunctions from the gun before relying on it. You'll need good grip and recoil control. It's not a combination for a novice. (Not saying you are)
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm hoping to get around 50 shots without a malf with the hard cast to start out with. It's expensive ammo but worth testing at least that much for reliability. I'll probably run 100-200 regular fmj target ammo first just to break the gun in. If the hard cast ammo malfs, I'll look into different ammo for woods carry. But I figure if I can get through that much without malfing, I would be pretty comfortable carrying it.
    Last edited by kirkland; 05-12-24 at 21:57.