Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Considering one of two carbines

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowspirit View Post
    He also mentioned Aero Precision. I know some people got crappy bolt carrier groups from then recently. IIRC, these BCGs were $160 a pop. Another competitor/trainer with a video channel doesn't think Aero is good. Or maybe he was referring to their uppers. Not sure.
    Thunder Ranch instructor recommended a BCM upper and Aero lower as a good choice for a budget rifle. I have a BCM upper. Nothing magic, but what I like most about BCM is their smorgasbord of choices. For less than a $1k you can select among dozens of upper configurations.

If price is driving your decision... keep in mind that ammo is $500/case. No sense sending all that money down range with a rifle that isn't your first choice just to save a couple bucks.

Buy a rifle and report back.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Earlier I wrote: If the S&W isn't up to anything serious, would it be after a good lower parts kit was installed? One gentleman responded "Replacing springs and detents isn't going to magically make a S&W the same as a Colt."

If a good lower parts kit was installed on the S&W, why wouldn't it be as good as a Colt other than barrel durability/longevity?

After I wrote the above question I thought: The Colt bolt carrier group is better. What if we then add a good aftermarket bolt carrier group to the S&W, does the aftermarket LPK and BCG make it as good as the Colt except for barrel durability/longevity?
    Why would you even buy the Smith anyway at that point? Are you just wanting your rifle to have S&W on the side??
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Considering one of two carbines

Increased durability/longevity isn't the reason why we choose Colt barrels for our rifles. A hammer forged barrel from Centurion, Daniel Defense, FN, Sionics, etc. could have have better durability than a Colt barrel….depending on the material.

A Colt barrel should give combat accuracy for well over 10,000 rounds (if it's not abused). Note I said combat accuracy, not sub MOA. Colt doesn't make precision barrels dedicated to shooting small groups. At the point in this thread when a bunch of us suggested a basic 6920, the need for 800 yard precision hadn't been mentioned.

Within the last year or two, in one of the threads similar to this one, someone asked what would need to be upgraded on a budget AR to make it the equal of a 6920. Basically everyone said it's a waste of time spending nearly $200 to upgrade a carbine that originally cost roughly $200 less than the Colt.

If you want a S&W AR, then buy one. You don't need our approval to spend your money. There are certainly worse options in the current AR segment.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-10-24 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Earlier I wrote: If the S&W isn't up to anything serious, would it be after a good lower parts kit was installed? One gentleman responded "Replacing springs and detents isn't going to magically make a S&W the same as a Colt."

If a good lower parts kit was installed on the S&W, why wouldn't it be as good as a Colt other than barrel durability/longevity?

After I wrote the above question I thought: The Colt bolt carrier group is better. What if we then add a good aftermarket bolt carrier group to the S&W, does the aftermarket LPK and BCG make it as good as the Colt except for barrel durability/longevity?
    Huh. Between the still unanswered questions and this ridiculous thought process, I regret my earlier stance and wasting my time in this thread at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    After reading through this thread I've changed my recommendation. Buy the S&W

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    After reading through this thread, Im going to off myself!

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Is your username peacematu on TOS?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lets do some math here. Lets just say shipping and FFL fee are free for ease of math.

S&W is 630 bucks.
    A Schmidt LPK is 90 bucks
    A decent BCG is 170 bucks.
    An H buffer is 30 bucks

So now we are at 920 bucks for the upgraded S&W.

Now using the same website that the S&W is listed on has a Colt OEM1 rifle for 799 (you can find them for 745 elsewhere).
    Add the BCM forend for 30 bucks
    Add a BCM trigger guard for 4 bucks
    Add 70 dollars for a B5 stock.

Now you are at 905 dollars for a complete Colt with the same furniture as the S&W. Or roughly 850 if you buy the OEM1 at 750.

Or look elsewhere for a factory complete 6920 like this for 960 bucks.

https://www.defensedepot.com/product...lapsible-stock
    Last edited by C-grunt; 05-10-24 at 18:30.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never mind. I promised myself I would no longer post in this one.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-10-24 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Lol it’s your own damn fault this thread made it to 12 pages.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast