Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone still .40 S&W?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The problem was people wanted a more powerful cartridge like .45, didn't want to sacrifice much capacity, and wanted it to fit in 9mm-sized guns.

.40 does that. It's a "problem solver".
    Big time. I can't shoot 45 fast like I can 40. And the good capacity is a big plus over 45, although I still offload a few rounds on the G22 mags. I tried a FN 45, but it was just too big for my hand, and I could never get a confident grip on faster draws from holster.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't think there is any way to know until you fire it.

<snip>

There is no reason to suffer Glocks when there are so many alternatives. It's become the old model VW Beetle to me.
    I agree... at full retail price, there's no way I'd buy another glock. But for $300, I'll gamble.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree... at full retail price, there's no way I'd buy another glock. But for $300, I'll gamble.
    I bought my new S&W M&P 2.0 .40 Compact a few weeks ago for $399 + FFL fee. Came with night sights & 3 mags. Not even leo price.

It runs on my reloads of a 180 gr coated bullet loaded to under 850 fps and Underwood 155 gr XTP's that clock over 1200 fps from the 4 in. barrel.

My full size 2.0 .45 has eaten bare lead flat-nosed bullets until the feed ramp / frame area was covered in a thick layer of sticky lead. I don't know how it still fed the cartridges like that!

Never a stoppage, accurate, and never throw a case at me.

Less recoil than Glocks, too. I presume because there is just a little more weight in the frame, being metal-lined.

Not a S&W fan but the M&P 2.0's don't get the credit they deserve.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just the one gen4 here, G19.

Gotta say, love the grip. Better than gen 2 or 3. I've done a grip rediction/stiple on the G19H (gen3) I carry now, to approximate it.

No BTF issue with my gen 4, only observation is brass lands in a neater pile, closer by (dual spring RSA will do that, I guess, I like it), and often the very last case will flip out over the front of the gun. But none to the face, in any shooting position.

Gen 5? No thanks, no want for ambi slide release, and hate the Marksman barrel. Bought one of those barrels, wouldn't fully chamber some of my ammo ( ammo that's just fine in EVERY 9mm we own) due to a tight, short leade.

Sold it REAL fast.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m good with .40 overall and still use it. For me, 40 was good in some guns but not so in others. I talking comfort wise, not reliability or accuracy so purely subjective. I didn’t like the Beretta 96, HK USP, Sig 226, Sig 320 any size or iteration, FNP/ FNS in 40. Glocks, M&Ps, HK P30& VP 40, Sig 229, S&W 3rd Gen are all good to go for me at least. I have a friend who loves his 1911 in .40 & for the life of me can’t remember who makes it!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not a S&W fan but the M&P 2.0's don't get the credit they deserve.
    I've only ran the M&P in 45 acp. Was a good pistol, but I never loved it.

I was eyeing an HK P30L in 40 cal, but not til after summer for a full priced pistol.

Feedback Score
    I've only ran the M&P in 45 acp. Was a good pistol, but I never loved it.

I was eyeing an HK P30L in 40 cal, but not til after summer for a full priced pistol.
    2.0 is substantially better IMO then the 1.0. The 2.0 trigger is "crunchy" but eventually breaks in nicely and becomes smooth with a predictable wall, then quickly and predictably lightens to
    the break.

I love the texture. It comes a little too rough. Then you take sandpaper to it and rub lightly only in the places you want to. Doesn't look any different where you do so and it's customized to your liking.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-10-24 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good to know. If I stick with the 40 for a while, I'll check one out.

Feedback Score
    For the price, I'll risk it. As long as the brass isn't hitting my head, I'm good. I already have the mags and holsters, so there's no extra purchases to get rolling.
    I just don’t see much risk. You can get $350 for the gun all day long from a local buyer if you don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use to carry my Gen4.23 up until getting a Sig X Macro a few months ago.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast