Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
Depends on the role. For me, the primary reason I want a folding stock is to be able to transport a gun in a smaller package, typically in a more innocuous bag. It will be used primarily in urban environments, and likely to not be carried for extended periods under field conditions; instead, it will sit primarily either in a bag or else indoors in a climate controlled area. Its primary use is for self-defense, and thus it does not get fired much, either (I train with other ARs). Keeping it to be an AR allows me to have a much easier logistical chain, while also maintaining commonality of manual of arms.

That's why I went with a LAW Folder, instead of a rifle that natively has a folding stock. Is the AR-15 with a folder basically a band-aid solution? Yes, but in my case, a band-aid is all I need. If a folding stock is needed for more austere and/or generalized use (being carried as a secondary for a sniper, needing the space in a vehicle while being in a rack, etc.), I would definitely be looking hard at something else, but for my specific niche, with the rest of the benefits brought about by sticking with the AR platform, it isn't worth the squeeze for me.
And that's exactly the purpose of that kind of setup in my mind. A short AR that you can store in a discreet bag and access quickly. I think the concerns about it breaking or being a weak point expressed in this thread are overblown. Sure, if you're taking an AR into the mountains of Afghanistan to do combat or something like that then it might be a worry, but in that type of situation you wouldn't want or need a folding stock AR anyway. For discreet folded carry in a bag, where you can pull it out and be ready to go within seconds, the folding stock design from what I've seen is robust enough that worrying about it breaking or being a weak point is gonna be a least concern.