Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What do you put on barrel extensions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    556cliff,
    No grease, but rather clean and dry, on the rear of the flange and front face of the receiver. That has to help it resist any turning force.
    This is something that Cliff556 has been preaching for years as I have read it many times in his posts and agree with both of you on this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
    With the right kind of epoxy filler. The dented slot can be repaired. People patch up engine block with it. The good ones are very expensive. There are affordable options. PM me if you are interested.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Oh I know it can be repaired. There's a few different ways, cutting tiny shims out off soda cans is one way to deal with it. I never really cared for trying to repair them though. Luckily, I figured out my method with the fin topped Reaction Rod and clam shell vise blocks used together. With that set up I re-barreled that upper again last year and I could have removed the indexing pin if I wanted to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    This is something that Cliff556 has been preaching for years as I have read it many times in his posts and agree with both of you on this.
    Someone has been paying attention.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just use marine wheel bearing grease on the threads (because I have an abundance of it). For that matter I've used the stuff to lube ARs in general. In the words of a wise man, it makes 'em run like a raped ape.

I did use red loctite for "bedding" in the upper on the last build. I can't prove scientifically whether it makes the gun more accurate than it'd be otherwise, but I'd never tried it before, figured it couldn't hurt.

The gun IS accurate, I'm happy with it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I also have a .308 version of the MI-URR (not pictured), but it's not compatible with AR10 receivers. I'm really not sure if there are any fin topped Reaction Rods that are.
    I used a MI URR large version to assemble a 308 large frame upper (Aero M5 upper, Brownells/Faxon barrel). Perhaps I’m misunderstanding this…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I used a MI URR large version to assemble a 308 large frame upper (Aero M5 upper, Brownells/Faxon barrel). Perhaps I’m misunderstanding this…
    Just went and looked up the .308 URR to see the description on Midwest Industries website... Looks like it does work with AR10 receivers, not sure why I was under the impression that it didn't.

Works with LR308 and AR10 308 barrels and receivers
    Ultimate tool for barrel nut installs
    Excellent for removing stubborn/seized barrel nuts without damaging upper
    Designed for muzzle device installs and will not damage index pin
    Can be used to install forward assist/port door cover
    Compatible with forged and billet LR308 and AR10 upper receivers
    Machined from 4140 Ordnance grade steel
    Durable Black Oxide finished for years of use
    Will not mar or damage exterior of upper receiver
    Receiver mounted sights can be left installed
    Can be installed horizontally or vertically in bench vise
    100% Made in USA

*NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DPMS G2 308
    ArmaLite® and AR10™ are trademarks of Armalite Inc
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-13-24 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    Yep, same upper, same barrel nut. I believe the nut was able to turn further do to the greased flange the second go around with the Reaction Rod.

I have a few fin topped Reaction Rods, I like them all, but the one from 2UniqueLLC is the one I prefer to use in tandem with the clamshell upper receiver vise blocks.

From top to bottom: Windham Weaponry Barreling Jig, Geissele Super Reaction Rod, MI-URR, 2UniqueLLC Barreling Spud.

Cliff, have you used the 2 Unique receiver extension wrench very much? The rigid one piece design really appeals to me, no breaker bar flopping around. Slipping off the castle nut is no bueno. I've been getting buy by sliding a waffle stock up against my wrench which helps a lot, but I may give that one a try. They have them on sale now.
    "We all got it comin"....Will Munny

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Cliff, have you used the 2 Unique receiver extension wrench very much? The rigid one piece design really appeals to me, no breaker bar flopping around. Slipping off the castle nut is no bueno. I've been getting buy by sliding a waffle stock up against my wrench which helps a lot, but I may give that one a try. They have them on sale now.
    Honestly I can't recommend the 2Unique stock wrench for a few reasons. First, I believe the heat treat on the one I have is bad. It actually started to deform against the aluminum wrench flats on a rifle receiver extension when I used it to remove one. Second, the castle nut portion of the wrench is really best suited for use in the tightening direction (clockwise) as it's a spanner type design. Third, there's no torque wrench slot so you just have to have a good feel for the torque specs when using it, which isn't really ideal. It may be possible that the heat treat issue is long past on current production versions.

I can highly recommend the 2Unique barrel wrenches and the barreling spud though.

For rifle receiver extensions nothing I've tried beats the Brownells stock wrench. And for castle nuts nothing beats the Tango Down castle nut wrench. Both pictured to the left of the 2Unique stock wrench.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly I can't recommend the 2Unique stock wrench for a few reasons. First, I believe the heat treat on the one I have is bad. It actually started to deform against the aluminum wrench flats on a rifle receiver extension when I used it to remove one. Second, the castle nut portion of the wrench is really best suited for use in the tightening direction (clockwise) as it's a spanner type design. Third, there's no torque wrench slot so you just have to have a good feel for the torque specs when using it, which isn't really ideal. It may be possible that the heat treat issue is long past on current production versions.

I can highly recommend the 2Unique barrel wrenches and the barreling spud though.

For rifle receiver extensions nothing I've tried beats the Brownells stock wrench. And for castle nuts nothing beats the Tango Down castle nut wrench. Both pictured to the left of the 2Unique stock wrench
    I think I have tried just about every tool for these tasks and these are the very best options.

Cliff I will give you $300 for that Windham jig lol! The bidding starts at $300.00

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    I think I have tried just about every tool for these tasks and these are the very best options.

Cliff I will give you $300 for that Windham jig lol! The bidding starts at $300.00
    Oh no, lol. That's one of the centerpieces of my collection. It was $350 new, but I'm never giving that one up. It's right up there with my Big Green Jig

Pay no mind to the Wheeler screwdriver set.

Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-13-24 at 12:47.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast