Thread: New King Cobra vs Python?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
    I’m really, really late to the party but want to post my experience.

This 3” 2020 Python is impossible not to love. I have small hands and these panel grips work very well for me. The grips are made by Arizona Custom Grips and it’s their ivory substitute called magna-tusk. Very dense and durable. Fit was perfect. The side benefit of service-style grips is that I have no trouble with a speed loader now. My HKS M3 speed loader fits perfectly. I don’t regularly shoot full-power .357 so recoil is not a big factor. .38 +P is not at all hard to control with this setup. The only thing I don’t like is the ****ing wobble on the rear sight. Even though I’ve had NO accuracy issues I just hate it. Got a WC rear sight in route.

I bought a Colt King Cobra when it first hit the market. I liked it but didn’t love it. Ended up trading it off like you do with guns that you’re kinda indifferent to. But Python is a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh boy, that's what I feel and I don't even have one yet. I ended up selling an M1 today so now I have the $$$ for a Python, still struggling between the 3 & the 4.25 one. I love the look of the 3-inch but assume the 4.25 would feel/balance better but until ya handle both I guess it would be hard to judge. The LGS where I went had an NIB 686 come in for a guy and I got to look and feel it, nice gun and 7 rds is sweet but still not as intriguing to me as the Python, he also had a King Cobra 4incher, and yea its nice and less $$$ but not the same in my eyes. Is it worth it or not, in my mind, I've always wanted a Python and missed out on the older ones so I'm not gonna miss out on one now, LOL. It's just gonna be a blaster, range gun, maybe I would carry it if I did settle on the 3-inch one but will decide in the coming days. Plenty of good info above so I just need to look and decide,maybe go watch a few goobers on YouTube and see what theyy say,LOL

Feedback Score
    I need to update regarding my 686+.

The other day I was firing 187 gr bullets with double grease rings. Apparently it was too much gook for the tight gun and the residue caused problems in just 50-75 rounds. Cylinder didn't want to open, didn't want to close, didn't want to turn. It was difficult to pull the trigger. But I kept going.

The ejector rod was not loose. No light strikes.

I fired the same ammo through the King Cobra. No problems.

After cleaning the 686+ later I dry fired it a few times and something wrong. Then the mainspring popped loose. Removed the grip and found the loc-tited strain screw nice and tight. But I removed it so I could get the mainspring back in place. Removed the side plate. No loose screws, nothing inside looked damaged.

Put it all back together and everything seems fine.

I don't know what went wrong.

This isn't the first time I've had "Can always count on" guns fail. I'll probably start carrying a back up again because I can't trust anything 100% to work.

I'll probably sell this gun and buy a 2nd King Cobra. I'll use one to carry occasionally and the other to do most of the practice.

At least if it breaks (hammers sometimes break) I can send it back as-is. The S&W has a few mods (replaced internal lock with plug) that I'd have to swap out or S&W won't honor the warranty or charge me to reinstall the infernal lock.

It's a real let down. The King Cobra and the 686+ have been my favorite revolvers ever. Tied for 1st.

2nd place is the Ruger LCR line.