Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
A "Sea Apache" variant WAS proposed, but it wasn't just tail length--the Apache has much more sophisticated support requirements as I understand it; the better solution would be to design a heavy attack chopper based on the backend and powertrain of the Blackhawk/Seahawk much like the Huey vs Cobra differentiation/commonality. (Or there's the Russian approach if you INSIST on putting all eggs in one basket; the only reason the Hind can't hot-swap between transport and attack like my friend's "AH-53" concept is that it can't lift the payload weight required for a full load of both troops and weaponry. Admittedly to make the "Attack Stallion" work on paper our design study added a FOURTH engine AND assumed the new GE38's used on King Stallion could be uprated to 10,000shp each - a powertrain equivalent to roughly half the powerplant of a Zumwalt-class destroyer.)

The Sea Apache proposal I saw would have been even more impressive than the land version, even having an "offensive" anti-aircraft capability with Sidewinders like some Cobras rather than just "defensive" with Stingers. Problem again comes back to "what grounds one version grounds both." Here again we come back to the limited room for support facilities, not just aircraft size--which is not what I meant, I was referring to the space required for high-tech/avionics support workshop spaces, spare avionics storage and "precision machining" requirements to fab expedient repair parts. The less shop/tech support "tail" you need aboard ship, the more room you have for the ship's required "stay afloat" functions plus ammunition, fuel and the important delivery systems. It's a LOT easier to get a busted Cobra back in the fight, and needs a lot less square footage and technical resources for back-end shop facilities outside the hangar bay, than it is a bent Apache.

Another point to note is that hunting insurgents requires different capabilities from an aircraft than Hulk Smashing waves of Commie T-72s while dodging ZSU-23-4s in the Fulda Gap.

Apache takes 8-3/4 hours of wrenching for each hour flying; average for rotorcraft is somewhere in the range of 3-5:1.

EDIT: Better comparison: Why does Ford make both smaller F-150s and bigger F-350s? The Apache is like a super-longbed, King Cab all-the-options F-350, while the Cobra is an F-150 with better handling.
I own an original Ford Super Duty (first year they made them back in 93), which is the equivalent of the F450. Say nothing bad about my precious truck!! LOL