Thread: Brownells' new retro uppers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post

BM on bottom/Colt on top

BM on left/Colt on right

BM is definitely more of the grey color of yore, texture completely different between the two. Both feel solid and chonk.
    That Colt stock is definitely different and it's more than just the external finish. It looks like they came out of molds from different manufacturers... My examples of the Colt stocks from a couple years back look like the BCM stock in your pictures.

Not a fan of change.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-04-23 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The Bushmaster stock has kind of a film or treatment on it--I remember that from my older colts. The new Colt did not have that.

Feedback Score
    Bushmaster used to mention in their manuals (decades ago, IIRC) that their rifles were finished with some sort of clearcoat. Possibly similar?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I think it's similar to cosmoline, not a permanent solution but maybe helps keep things pristine in storage. Was easy to clean up and didn't make a mess/didn't stink.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Bushmaster used to mention in their manuals (decades ago, IIRC) that their rifles were finished with some sort of clearcoat. Possibly similar?
    I remember in the description of their receivers that they were sealed with Nickel Acetate after anodizing. Nothing about the entire rifle, just the receivers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I remember in the description of their receivers that they were sealed with Nickel Acetate after anodizing. Nothing about the entire rifle, just the receivers.
    You're correct - just the receivers. Although I'm not sure what nickel acetate does exactly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    You're correct - just the receivers. Although I'm not sure what nickel acetate does exactly.
    I could be wrong, but I believe the Nickel Acetate is a seal coat for the dye and doesn't so much have anything to do with protecting the anodizing itself.