Thread: Are .44 / .45 lever guns easier to load than .357's?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I realize you’re currently looking at magnum pistol caliber calibers for a lever gun, but have you considered a .223 Remington?

The Browning BLR can be had in .223 with a 20” barrel, feeds from a flush mounted box magazine (no pinching issues), and easily mounts an optic. Plus you get to use cheap ammo you can find anywhere, and recoils very little. Downside is the barrel is 1-12” so above 55gr bullets will not shoot well.

There are plenty of other caliber options though if recoil sensitivity isn’t an issue.

Just a thought.

No, but thanks.

We like to shoot steel at closer ranges. Pistol ammo suppresses better, and I reload only pistol ammo so far.

I have a relative with early, takedown Savage 99's. Thin barrels, box mags, ammo counters, aperture sights. Light rifles. One in .300 Sav, one .303 Sav. I've fired the .303 sav. It zeroed fine and is pleasant to shoot. It's pretty tempting to trade for that rifle but I'd have to load for it and no upgrades should be done to it. (It's not even tapped for a scope mount)
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-02-23 at 11:42.