Quote Originally Posted by MJN1957 View Post
Using the 5.56 bolt is a bonus, to what end, however?

I'm not denigrating the round, I think it was a great concept when it was done before (.22 Nosler pops into mind), and I think it is a great concept now, but I also don't think it matters much.

It doesn't allow the AR-platform to operate at bolt-gun pressures and the vast majority of casual end users - who are needed to move the needle in the marketplace to elevate the round out of the 'novelty' arena - could not possibly care less. It isn't difficult to find any of the various sundry bolts to run any standard cartridge in a small-frame AR anymore. Plus, what drives market success is ready availability of complete firearms with consistent ammo and brass availability.

One only needs to cruise the end-user online platforms for a short time to discover the most significant 'problem' with the ARC - ammo and brass availability. If the comparative manufacturing monster that is Hornady can't meet consumer demand for a product it put a significant portion of the reputation of its brand behind, how will a smaller and relatively unknown developer avoid the same fate with a completely different concept?

Again, a great concept...but will it matter to anyone other than niche users?...and, if not, how long can it last?
SOLGW is making barrels and complete guns... And they're shooting for $1.50/round for loaded ammo, which is comparable to ARC. I'm kind of excited for the round because it's just a barrel swap and maybe a few 350 Legend mags to convert over, and it uses the same powders as Grendel.

I do agree it'll be a niche cartridge, but that's just fine with me. I still think Grendel is a niche cartridge and I shoot it a lot. Grendel had a moment when Wolf steel cased ammo was $6/20, but those days are an unprovoked invasion behind us now. Maybe AAC making Grendel ammo will make a difference.