Thread: Recommend an EDC tactical light?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Recommend an EDC tactical light?

The EDC aspect means that it needs to have a low output mode, and the Tactical aspect means that this mode cannot be accidentally selected when high is needed, and vice verse.

With the stated size limitation and price point, the closest I can come up with is the Elzetta Alpha A313, which comes with the standard optic and high/low tailcap. Once a Dark Sucks clip is added, the price is $200.

My number one recommendation isn't one that can be purchased as a complete light, but is a fabulous tool and not anywhere close to $150. It's the Elzetta Bravo body with a low profile or crenellated head, paired with a Malkoff M91BN LED module, and the high/low tailcap. When used with the Harries technique, for me, it is very difficult to latch the switch into always-on mode without slightly adjusting my grip on the light. Low mode can be activated by loosening the tailcap with my thumb and index finger.

My number two recommendation might be purchased as a complete light, depending on the desired tailcap, but all of the lights I'm mentioning are completely modular and very easy to reconfigure as needed. Slightly larger in size compared to the Elzetta Bravo, the Malkoff MD2 with high/low head. There are lots of tailcap options, since it uses Surefire 6P threads. A Surefire Z41 that's been upgraded with a McClicky switch and hard press boot is a great option if standing the light on it's tail isn't needed. I and up doing this quite often, so it shouldn't be completely ignored. Low mode for this light is achieved by loosening the head, which can't be easily accomplished with a pistol in the other hand.

I carry a Malkoff MD2 (with one of several tailcaps and LED modules) or Elzetta Bravo ~340 days a year. The remainder of them have an Elzetta with AVS head (even larger than my standards) or an Oveready Wasp (same size as the Elzetta).
    Last edited by grizzman; 09-19-23 at 21:19.