Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'm asking because I'm not sure what's out there that would fit that role. I don't know anything about CRI or temperature. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how it impacts a self defense scenario. I'm looking for something that I can use to illuminate or search w/out using the pistol mounted light. Something small enough to carry every day, so size-wise I would like something around the size of a single CR123 light.
Disclaimer, I'm just an enthusiast that has taken a number of low-light classes, done a decent bit of low-light force-on-force and am a gear queer, I have not used lights in a realworld duty capacity involving firearms (only as fire and SAR).

The cooler the color, the more it tends to create glare when trying to shine through atmospherics (e.g., fog, smoke, rain, etc.), hence why some folks used to run both an LED and an incandescent WML on a single gun, since cooler lights tend to have better output, but smoke from the gunpowder and like can create more glare.

CRI is much more niche, but some will argue that better color reproduction will make searching and picking up on things a bit easier.

If it's primarily self-defense, but not exclusively so, a dual mode would probably be useful, given that a low output mode can be quite useful for normal flashlight things.

Current dogma is trending toward throw, but that makes it less useful for normal flashlight things at times.

The following single cell recs are based of spec sheet and second hand reports, not my own direct experience:
  • The SureFire EDCL1-T has okay throw and decent overall output, along with SureFire's legendary reliability. Some people really dig the gas pedal clicky for switchology between low and high outout, along with the ability to not accidentally override the momentary and go into constant on.
  • The Malkoff MDC HA is like a budget EDCL1-T in terms of performance, but is also a bit cheaper, and just as reliable. Momentary is achieved by not pressing in all the way.
  • The Malkoff MDC Bodyguard will be able to outperform the EDCL1-T in short bursts with a rechargeable. It has only a single selectable output. Momentary is achieved by not pressing in all the way.
  • The Modlite Handheld PLHv2-18350 has excellent performance, but is limited by the single output, and is quite pricey (the OKW variant is the high throw version, which I personally think is not very useful in an EDC light). Momentary is achieved by not pressing in all the way, although Arisaka offers a replacement tailcap that operates as momentary only for pushing, and twist for constant on. It uses only 18350s.
  • EDC Light builder has several single cell models with smaller Malkoff heads, with multiple options to tailor to your preferred metrics and methodology. They only use 18350s.
  • The Streamlight ProTac 1L is like a budget Malkoff MDC HA of sorts, similar outputs, but likely less durable.
  • HDS Rotary has a legendary switchology and durability, but the LEDs are little behind on the times, albeit still servicable. They're also quite pricey.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head for lights by American companies. Plenty of other cheaper options from the likes of Nitecore, Olight, Fenix, etc.