Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sling adjustment designs

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Have you considered a double-ended configuration? I put a slider on the distal end like a Proctor sling, and a ladder lock at the other end of the adjustment section where it connects to the shoulder pad. I think it may work pretty well for me but I need to use it some before drawing any conclusions.
    Interesting idea. Nothing like this has even occurred to me before.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    That's pretty clever. I echo SteveL's sentiments as well, which led me to the AA sling. I prefer 1.25" webbing otherwise I'd try that slider-cam combo on a 1" strap.
    It appears that 1.25" webbing hardware is scarce. A two-ring buckle as the BFG GMT sling appears to use could work, but getting the right combination for easy yet secure adjustment can be difficult in my experience. What 1.25" slings do you have? You may be able to reconfigure the existing hardware as I did with the Grey Ghost SD Basic Sling.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Think I settled on my final sling design.

1" polyester tubing for smoother and softer feel, rot resistant and thicker so it doesn't dig into the shoulder.
    https://www.strapworks.com/1-inch-tu...ouflage-quadra

1" plastic slide adjuster
    https://www.strapworks.com/1-inch-su...strap-adjuster

1" plastic slide
    https://www.strapworks.com/1-inch-plastic-slide-black

1" metal strap to cord twisted converter
    https://www.strapworks.com/1-inch-co...-reducing-loop

I use 67" of webbing and only have to sew one box stitch to secure the strap adjuster. Put on the cord converter and attach 24" para-cord loop through it and then back through the slide to the rear portion of sling. A slide then used to secure the sling to the stock. I wrap the para-cord loop around the handguard or through the mlok holes to keep it from moving around. With this method I can run the slide all the way back to the stock location for less dangling when stored. Also use polyester thread to protect against rot and the ends can be tied and melted to keep the stitch from unraveling.

Last edited by joedirt199; 09-08-23 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Think I settled on my final sling design.

1" polyester tubing for smoother and softer feel, rot resistant and thicker so it doesn't dig into the shoulder.
    https://www.strapworks.com/1-inch-tu...ouflage-quadra

I use 67" of webbing and only have to sew one box stitch to secure the strap adjuster. Put on the cord converter and attach 24" para-cord loop through it and then back through the slide to the rear portion of sling. A slide then used to secure the sling to the stock. I wrap the para-cord loop around the handguard or through the mlok holes to keep it from moving around. With this method I can run the slide all the way back to the stock location for less dangling when stored. Also use polyester thread to protect against rot and the ends can be tied and melted to keep the stitch from unraveling.
    You mention rot resistance a couple of times. Has this been a problem with other slings? Lots of caving gear is nylon I believe, and I can't imagine any of my slings seeing a more rot-conducive environment than that.

Have you had any problems with the tubular webbing bunching or folding up and not sliding smoothy?

I put together a minimalist sling of a similar layout but with different hardware. This does allow a greater range of adjustment because as you noted you can double nearly the entire sling but it only seems applicable to storage or tightening over the back as if the gun in slung to the front the slider would be up between the shoulder blades. Unless you've found a solution to that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    But how do you adjust that one handed?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    But how do you adjust that one handed?
    Which setup?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Joedirt199

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I grab the adjuster with my left hand and pull it up under my armpit or throw the rifle over my right should and pull the slider across the chest. I have made them the more common way with the slider going toward the front with a plastic loop in the middle of the sling but then you have less adjustme t range and the sling does not tighten down along the gun for storage.

As far as rot goes, I was basing that off what the webbing company recommends based on the usage you plan to do. I had polyester webbing that was not tubed and the sides where rough and the webbing was very thin. The tube style is soft and remains flat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12