Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
I am a big fan of the Casio solar G-Shock watches, as others have mentioned. I have one that was in a Louisiana store that was destroyed by Katrina. It was buried underwater and rubble for three weeks.

I bought it for $20 from the insurance folks that salvaged the goods from the store. It still runs like a champ 18 years later. I have basically tried to kill it and failed.

If you have the extra cash, Christopher Ward and Sangin Instruments also make extremely reliable time pieces. I also have a Marathon GSAR like markm, and have failed to kill it.

I do love the "classy elegant understated look". My daily wear is a 1998 stainless steel Rolex no-date Submariner. I love that watch, it works with everything from a tux to cargo shorts.
That's what I basically ended up doing. I bought a G-Shock with built in digital compass for around $45 on Amazon, its the same one I had in when I was in. I'm probably going to buy a nice Citizen that I can wear with a suite or something I can have on during a meeting with clients and customers, but then when it comes to helping out with the actual hardware portion of my work, I can take off or rock my G-Shock. I'm not a watch collector, nor do I need another thing taking up my time and money, I just want something that works well until I inevitably end up breaking it