Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
It is a fantastic optic. I still have not finished my Mk12 mod 0 and so the 4-16NF is sitting on the shelf. When I first picked it up, I put it on an 18" 223 bolt action and it did not disappoint. The ATACR came off the bolt gun when I received an 8-32 NXS in a trade.

Another optic that I did not know much about until recently is the Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42. Sightron is well know in the benchrest and F-class community for making some top tier glass for reasonable money.

Pros-
Good glass for the money, can typically be found for around $500 on sale. My example was purchased lightly used for $320
Made in the Philippines, not China
Compact and weight is 24.8 oz, almost 6 oz less than the ATACR, but it is a 30mm tube rather than a 34mm.
Parallax is from 10 yards to infinity, good for close work
20.4 MRAD of adjustment, plenty for a DMR/SPR application, and the reticle has 10 MRAD in it.
FFP and illuminated

Cons-
I have heard some complaints about the field of view. Personally it has not bothered me.
After having locking turrets on my SMRS, the exposed turrets on other scopes make me a little nervous that they could get easily bumped. Not a big con but something to be mindful of on this scope.
Some may want a christmas tree type reticle and that is not offered on these.

Another scope that I was able to check out recently is the Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x44. It was on a fellow shooters rifle, is a really nice compact design, with some neat features. Another model to check out when shopping for an optic if $2K is within your budget.
Not to rain on your parade via the Leupold MK5 3.6-18x44mm but Leupold still wants $500. more if you want that scope illuminated. Leupold still doesn't understand the market, and hasn't for more than 20 years......