Thread: Early Colt SP1 1967 value 3 prong

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    They're not making any more SP1's and that will prevent the value from going down. However, there's just no denying that the features of the newer Colt AR15's do have an impact on the value of the SP1's. Only collectors who have to fill that hole in their collection will pay more for something that is less. Collectors like me who don't have the desire to fill every hole will spend their money on the gun that's closest to the military version. If the SP1's were the closest we could get to a real military full auto M4/M16, they'd be worth far more than they are now.
    i respectfully disagree that the features of new Colts affect price of SP1 rifles , for this reason , and understand i am not arguing ,just presenting facts as i know them , lets say there are 40 million AR15 fans out there , its just a number to prove a point , its stuck in my head from the brace issue , 40 million enthusiasts that think SP1 rifles are only worth fair market value of $1200 like some state here in this thread

now lets say out of the entire country there are only 500 people that HAVE to have one for their collection , i personally see maybe 12- 15 SP1 rifles pop up for sale within a year , i do not go actively go looking for every single one , just what i notice and then i pay attention to what they bring , this is where my estimates come from , i do this on allot of weapons so is i see something in the wild i have a some what educated idea what it should go for

so if i am seeing 12-15 a year , so are those 500 people that have to have one , the problem is 500 people with 12-15 rifles to go around , even if 5 of those 500 are competing for one of those 12-15 the price will drive up like the one post just under 4k

these 500 collectors dictate market value , the 40 million that are stuck in 2008 prices have less than zero affect on the price , they by own admission drop out at $1200 , the buying power of 500 over powers the 40 million , every time

my estimate is a average , and it is what i would use , there are special variable's that may cause the vale to dip below the estimate , is it a tent peg , bore shot out , permeant alterations , missing original parts , painted , ect,,, but for the average legit SP1 i stand by my estimate

i eluded to something in my other post , you are looking at the SP1 rifle differently than a collector does , you keep reverting to functionality and features , collectors gravitate to weapons by scarceness , appreciation value , uniqueness , the plus minus attributes of the two groups is like comparing a formula one tire to a WW2 motorcycle tire
    Last edited by hoopharted; 05-09-23 at 12:20.