Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foam Safe Contact Cement?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    3M Spray adhesives will work in most cases. I've used 77 on EPS as long as I keep the spray back from the surface about a foot (the solvent gasses off before doing any real damage), 90 is low VOC and work as well, and I've used 61 corner bead adhesive in a pinch. I don't know what spray contact adhesive you have on hand, but 77 is stupid strong when applied correctly.

Something a lot of guys up here use Tremco acoustical sealant. They apply and roll with a J roller. I've just never tried it.
    Thanks. I've used 3M 77 in the past with R/C wing skins before vacuum bagging and stuff like that. Way in the past.

I bought a can of 3M 77 and a can of 3M 90 to try out with this but have not had a chance to try it yet. I also have cans of the 3M 61 bead adhesive but it is not strong enough and when slathered on has some strength but the cans don't ast long.

Tremco is actually the parent company of the NUdura brand ICF I use. I'll see if I can find that sealant to try.

If I have to end up pinning this with a 2x4 and screws to hold it while it dries I have a large range of things I can use. I was hoping to find something that acts like normal contact cement -- strong holding with only a few minutes of set time. But all the normal contact cements that work like that (I have a large can of the weldbond or whatever brand) are not foam friendly...

Thanks for the feedback
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    As others have mentioned PL300 will work, a few other general purpose adhesives work with foam. So does 3M 77 spray. They also have one that comes in a quarts, 1 gallon, and 5 gal. I think it is 1375 or some such. What is the membrane? EPDM, PVC, ???. I've glued EPS panels to waterproofing membranes and liner to big blocks of geofoam. There are several adhesives compatable with EPS and the various membranes.
    I'm not sure what the membrane is made of. Similar in feel to Bituthene but is foam friendly (Bituthene being asphalt based may not be??). This is what the website says about it:

"Nudura Waterproofing Membrane / TREMdri™ 540
    Nudura Waterproofing Membrane / TREMdri™ 540 is a self-adhesive waterproofing membrane specifically designed for below grade dampproofing or waterproofing applications.

Features & Benefits

Manufactured to a preset, uniform thickness that provides consistent and uniform coverage
    Primerless dampproofing when applied over Nudura ICFs
    When used as a waterproofing application, the full surface is required to be primed with the Nudura membrane primer prior to application
    "

Actually I just found this on another website:

"The membrane is composed of SBS modified bitumen with a tri-laminated woven polyethylene facer."

The 3m 1357 (there doesn't appear to be a 1375) looks like it may work. It says polystyrene foam is compatible. Not cheap but if it works it would be worth it right now.
    Last edited by chadbag; 05-01-23 at 13:45.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    I'm not sure what the membrane is made of. Similar in feel to Bituthene but is foam friendly (Bituthene being asphalt based may not be??). This is what the website says about it:

Nudura Waterproofing Membrane / TREMdri™ 540 is a self-adhesive waterproofing membrane specifically designed for below grade dampproofing or waterproofing applications.

Features & Benefits

Manufactured to a preset, uniform thickness that provides consistent and uniform coverage
    When used as a waterproofing application, the full surface is required to be primed with the Nudura membrane primer prior to application
    "

"The membrane is composed of SBS modified bitumen with a tri-laminated woven polyethylene facer."

The 3m 1357 (there doesn't appear to be a 1375) looks like it may work. It says polystyrene foam is compatible. Not cheap but if it works it would be worth it right now.
    Sounds like it's basically the same thing as Grace Bituthene, which is what we sell. My only concern with the Tremco acoustical sealant is that it might be too runny at warm temps to stick well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Features & Benefits

"

Sounds like it's basically the same thing as Grace Bituthene, which is what we sell. My only concern with the Tremco acoustical sealant is that it might be too runny at warm temps to stick well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12