Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
Yeah, I have to agree. If you choose to live in an area that's likely to go tits up, you should have your own plan on dealing with that eventuality. If that's too difficult, or impossible, that's on you. I appreciate missionary work, and admire their wiliness to help others and share the good news, but every missionary should also understand the possibility of martyrdom.
I largely agree, but I also think it does not have to be binary. When I travelled I had a PACE plan and I made several people aware of those "just in case." I was aware that if something happened I was on my own until I could make it to somewhere prearranged and safe.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a country to make a reasonable effort to extract its citizens from a country in which something went sideways (coup, tsunami, earthquake, whatever), key being 'reasonable.' I don't know that I agree with AFRICOM or JSOC/SOCOM dropping everything to pivot with mass NEO operations.

It's not 'just' missionaries, either. If we have an expectation that we extract embassy personnel, what about OGA personnel? What about personnel contracted to the US? Again I don't think it has to be binary, but I am not sure where the line lay.