Thread: M270A2 MLRS

Feedback Score

M270A2 MLRS

Rocket artillery is a bit out of my lane but I find it interesting. On the right is the new M270A2 Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) and on the left is the older M270A1. I notice that the newer variant lacks the blast shutters on the windows that the older version has. Is this due to some sort of new, improved glass, or was it determined that these shutters weren't needed, or something else? The A2 also seems to be slightly taller than the A1.

Feedback Score
    ETA: Looking closer, it appears that the A2 might have shutters inside the glass.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The armor upgrade made it a M270A1 IAC (Improved Armored Cab), what makes it the A2 is improved fire control system that can fire newer/bigger/better longer range rockets. I believe the progression was 270 unguided, A1 GPS guided and A2 better GPS guided and compatible with future weapons. Range has improved from 40 km up to 150 km, Ukraine is getting the 85 km rockets, I believe the new 150 km rockets under development use a 2 rocket pod. Then you have the MGM-140 ATACMS which is a bigger single rocket pod with 300 km range and Lockheed Martin is also working on a new Precision Strike Missile with a range of 500 km.

https://www.military-today.com/artillery/m270a2.htm

The M270A2 is an improved and upgraded version of the M270A1 MLRS. Development of this improved version of the M270A1 commenced in 2008. The US Army wanted improved protection for the crew, that would be compatible to that offered by the armored cab of the lighter M142 HIMARS. Testing of the improved armored cab for the M270 was completed in 2015. At the time the test vehicle was known as the M270A1 IAC (Improved Armored Cab). Other improvements of the M270A2 over the previous version include a Common Fire Control System and software. Launcher modules were upgraded. Vehicle also has a new engine and transmission.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 07-17-22 at 13:40.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."