Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Considering the Snub Nose Reload - Spares Carry

Feedback Score
    Just my WAG, but assuming you do everything else as best you can, a revolver can solve 85% of citizen-minding-their-buisness lethal force encounters.

A semi-auto double-stack will probably cover 10% more. The last 5% are the times you really needed a professional security team with you. And / or a rifle already in your hands.

Feedback Score
    I try not carry a revolver as primary / only.

I was doing pretty good but last night got a call to help somebody out quickly due to an injury.

Guess what happens? Yup. LCR dropped in pocket, (pretty dirty and loaded w/.357 Golden Saber) 5-star speed loader goes in support side sweatshirt pocket. (W/158 gr LRN from previous day shooting)
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-30-20 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I don’t find reading a report of an incident where two members of L/E being murdered funny... but from Uni-Vibe’s synopsis, I’d suggest he brush up on it as a lot of his statements are blatantly incorrect. Only one agent was shot reloading his revolver. This is coming from someone who did more research on that incident than just browsing a Wikipedia article.

I do wonder why he has such a huge concern on what other people carry. A J-frame doesn’t mean a killer is going to get the drop on you because you only have 5 shots before reload. I’d say situational awareness is going to get you further than more rounds in the gun. More of a chance of you being shot with your eyes on your phone than because you pack a S&W over a Glock.

Colder weather... I carry a Glock 30S. Once it gets back into the 40s, and lighter clothes... the J-frame comes back out (along with three moonclips in my pocket). Feel just as confident with it as the Glock... or my issued H&K P2000. If I am off duty and walk on something going down... I’ll take that revolver into it without hesitation. Only difference would be if I’m by in my truck when I find out what’s up... and in that situation, Level III body armor and an AR pistol are coming along with the J-frame.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's the Blacksmith, not the hammer. If a person has their head screwed on straight, they will prevail. Large magazine capacity is not a substitute for training and mindset. More rounds are better to have on hand, there is no question about it, but that does not predict who will win the conflict.

A J Frame in the hands of a well trained and determined individual is a viable self defense weapon when dealing with social issues in CONUS.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Personally, I don’t find reading a report of an incident where two members of L/E being murdered funny... but from Uni-Vibe’s synopsis, I’d suggest he brush up on it as a lot of his statements are blatantly incorrect. Only one agent was shot reloading his revolver. This is coming from someone who did more research on that incident than just browsing a Wikipedia article.

I do wonder why he has such a huge concern on what other people carry. A J-frame doesn’t mean a killer is going to get the drop on you because you only have 5 shots before reload. I’d say situational awareness is going to get you further than more rounds in the gun. More of a chance of you being shot with your eyes on your phone than because you pack a S&W over a Glock.

Colder weather... I carry a Glock 30S. Once it gets back into the 40s, and lighter clothes... the J-frame comes back out (along with three moonclips in my pocket). Feel just as confident with it as the Glock... or my issued H&K P2000. If I am off duty and walk on something going down... I’ll take that revolver into it without hesitation. Only difference would be if I’m by in my truck when I find out what’s up... and in that situation, Level III body armor and an AR pistol are coming along with the J-frame.
    Not trying to derail the thread but I listened to a podcast with the agent who killed Pratt and mantix. It’s called “FBI Retired case file review”, and it’s episodes 118-119. Pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

A J Frame in the hands of a well trained and determined individual is a viable self defense weapon when dealing with social issues in CONUS.
    Bernhard Goetz (NYC subway vigilante) is good example. 5 guys, 5 shots, 1 miss in a blink of an eye. And that would be more of a typical "social issue" than the FBI shootout or the N. Hollywood shootout
    Last edited by Arik; 01-31-20 at 06:03.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Bernhard Goetz (NYC subway vigilante) is good example. 5 guys, 5 shots, 1 miss in a blink of an eye. And that would be more of a typical "social issue" than the FBI shootout or the N. Hollywood shootout
    The 5 didn't have weapons. An armed gang or active shooter situation more nearly resembles Miami or North Hollywood than unarmed thugs in the Goetz case. And even Goetz testified that he'd have shot more rounds if the gun hadn't run out.

Carry what you will. I just think more bullets is better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    The 5 didn't have weapons. An armed gang or active shooter situation more nearly resembles Miami or North Hollywood than unarmed thugs in the Goetz case. And even Goetz testified that he'd have shot more rounds if the gun hadn't run out.

An armed gang?

More bullets is never bad but you have a better chance of going to space than being involved in a Miami or N. Hollywood style shootout. And IF you are involved in that you don't need a gun, you need a rifle and backup..... especially N. Hollywood since those two were using full auto and armor
    Last edited by Arik; 01-31-20 at 08:08.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post

Thank you for posting something reasonable in this thread.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast