Thread: Budget .223/5.56 "Precision" Upper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not sure what WOA is currently offering in chambers... but my 16" WOA has a wylde chamber that isn't 5.56 pressured ammo friendly. (I get case buldge with hot ammo)

I like the option of shooting hot ammo in a "precision" style AR.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not sure what WOA is currently offering in chambers... but my 16" WOA has a wylde chamber that isn't 5.56 pressured ammo friendly. (I get case buldge with hot ammo)

Jeez, that's weird... "Wylde" chambers are supposed to have enough leade to be 5.56-friendly.

I definitely want to be able to shoot 5.56 with this, so this is mildly concerning...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

I have a WOA service 5sra7M4 with what they list as “223/556 Wylde” chamber.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/whi...-m4-ramps.html

I’m running a 75gr BTHP load in Speer nickel cases that is (at least book data wise) right at 62,000 PSI so right there at maximum SAAMI 5.56mm 62gr pressure. I don’t notice any issue with case bulge? Where is the case bulge, right near base? And how much? I’m currently even seeing flattened primer and some totally loose after firing and cases still drop right into a case gauge after.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
    II’m running a 75gr BTHP load in Speer nickel cases...
    To hijack my own thread... Do you have any problems using nickel cases?

I use them almost exclusively for handgun rounds (and I like them, have had no issues, and will never go back to plain brass), but everything I've read about reloading rifle rounds says to avoid them.

Feedback Score

Budget .223/5.56 "Precision" Upper?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    To hijack my own thread... Do you have any problems using nickel cases?

I use them almost exclusively for handgun rounds (and I like them, have had no issues, and will never go back to plain brass), but everything I've read about reloading rifle rounds says to avoid them.
    I also use them exclusively for handgun. I keep the bare brass I get in a pile for rainy days.

They reload beautifully, at least once. The issue people have with them is cracking at the neck due to the nickel being less strain tolerant during the resize so they may have lower reuse count. I haven’t reloaded mine enough yet to provide that input. But they clean fantastically, they resize smoothly (nickel has a high lubricity so although I use a case lube it is easier to size than other cases). Excessively flaring the case mouth for bullet seating is a danger.
    * I have a couple cases I took thru reload #3, but most I have are only been reloaded once so far.

Nickel is very easy to find on the ground after shooting. But then, it’s a tossup if you’re better off losing more and getting higher reload count?

I use bare brass for 308 and 3006, so only tried nickel cases for 223.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 11-03-19 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Our BRT 16"OPTIMUM SPR upper should meet your needs nicely.

It is available with our Covert Comp, which is the best linear style muzzle device on the market.

The Wylde chamber and EXT gas system work together, allowing excellent performance even with hot loads like 77gr SMK Mk262.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...egory=20819268

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Our BRT 16"OPTIMUM SPR upper should meet your needs nicely...
    Yeah, but with the 13.7" handguard, it's $672 out the door. (Plus a BCG = well over $800.)

Silly vanity question:

Is that supposed to be the SLR handguard in the photo?

They look different here: https://slrrifleworks.com/solo-13-7-...andguard-mlok/

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We have a couple options for more affordable hand guards, including the 13" generic shown, that meet your budget.

PM for details.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62