Thread: IFAK setup advice & what is the best compact gauze and compression bandages?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    I would say your small IFAK is too small, you either need to squeeze more stuff in or get a bigger pouch. I know you're looking for smaller options but you need to make your pouch fit the gear then the other way around. The stuff doesnt need to fit neatly inside, squeeze anything you can fit inside. I always carry at least two IFAKs set up as follows:

20190321-150004.jpg

In a standard USGI IFAK

CAT Tourniquet
    NPA
    Gloves
    Israeli Bandage
    Roller Gauze (Kerlex)
    3in Silk Tape
    14ga 3 1/4in needle
    Chest Seal Gauze
    Old style field dressing
    Trauma knife or shears

I can also squeeze a cravat inside. I think your set up with two chest seals is okay, but why not get a needle in there? I would also add more compressed or roller gauze (Kerlex). Like three or four more rolls at least; if you need to pack a an arterial bleed you would easily use at two if not more. I also carry two extra pouches just for kerlex and CAT's on my medic rig. You look to be on the right track, though I'd say lose the blanket, that is something more suited for a pack, rather than and IFAK, the space it takes up could be used for kerlex or a cravat. I know roller gauze is bulky but its far easier to control your roll and handle it in an efficient manner when packing a wound. Hemostatic gauze is fine, but its expensive and if you cant afford it, you can use kerlex instead. You dont need hemostatic gauze, its just really nice to have and gives you an extra edge. I didnt see if you have tape, get some tape.

One question, this is a "Range IFAK"? Are you the target, or is it a down range IFAK
    Last edited by CRJ3723; 03-22-19 at 11:45.