Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Double-Tap"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, all these posts over a so called proper usage of a term..............

Double Tap, Controlled Pair, Dedicated Pair................a tad too technical for something sooooooooo simple.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wichaka View Post
    Wow, all these posts over a so called proper usage of a term..............

Double Tap, Controlled Pair, Dedicated Pair................a tad too technical for something sooooooooo simple.
    Agreed, to a degree. I would much rather simply group them as "pairs"- allowing the individual to apply the technique as appropriate and capable.

That being said- defining the terms beyond "double tap" expands knowledge and explains exactly what the shooter is seeing while firing the pair. Much like sight picture, simply saying "sights" does not sufficiently explain the shooter's perception or permit successful coaching. Defining how the sights are seen- hard front sight focus, soft focus, target focus, etc explains what the shooter is focusing on. The same applies to pairs- but on a broader scale, and can be applied to other shot delivery techniques- as it accurately describes the way the shooter interacts with the sights.

Lacking the ability to alter methods of delivery due to ignorance does nothing to advance the shooter- just as a boxer that only knows to "punch" and has never been taught the uppercut, cross, hook, jab, or straight or the tempo at which to strike will probably not advance far in his sport.

My intent was never to demean, simply to educate. While I really don't think that 12 posts (with this one) is excessive given the 700-something views of this thread, I think that discussion and definition of technique can only help others seeking to improve their ability. If a shooter is simply trying to get two shots down-range as fast as their trigger-finger moves and can't figure out why they aren't hitting this discussion may help them become fast and accurate- which I believe to be the ultimate goal whether preparing one's self to prevail in a violent encounter or the local USPSA match.

But, of course, that's just me.
    -F2S
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Speed and accuracy work together, which is to get hit(s) as soon as possible.
    Pressing the trigger at the speed needed to control the sights to hit your target is what it's all about.

If the threat is in anyway difficult to hit, you will need to slow down on the trigger and focus more on sight alignment.
    If the threat is close and easy to hit, then….....this is no time for a bullseye type group, in fact, you need to be pounding shots into the threat as fast as possible and stop the threat NOW!
    Most of the time you will be somewhere between the two above examples.

My rule of thumb for combat shooting;
    If your threat is larger than your front sight, better get ta shootin'
    If your threat is the same or smaller than your front sight, better get on them sights and fast.

Practice this process slow at first..........remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Speed will come with practice.

Your decision on how fast vs. how slow to press the trigger, how much front sight vs. combat look through and/or body index is based on two things, your perception of the threat situation AND your perception of your skill with your equipment.

If you practice only one trigger press and sight alignment you are a target shooter and not preparing yourself properly for the street, and doing yourself an injustice.
    Recognize the need for different levels of trigger press and sight alignment, practice at those levels and in between. In the fight have the ability to adapt to the situation smoothly not to survive, but to decisively win!
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Failure2Stop ummmm.............I love you MAN!!!!!! the force is not with you ,YOU my friend are the force

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Double Tap - One sight picture, two shots.

Controlled Pairs - Sight picture for every shot. Take your time - fast.

Feedback Score
    Failure2Stop, after reading threads like this I realise the caliber of people on this site & the amount of thought they put into educating themselves & those around them.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheadeddog View Post
    If any of you follow brianenos.com and the relationship between zen and shooting there is definately something to be said of "instincive shooting".
    Instinctive shooting doesn't mean you don't use the sights. Only in type one (extremely close range targets) focus do I see someone not using the sights.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoChaser View Post
    Double Tap - One sight picture, two shots.

Controlled Pairs - Sight picture for every shot. Take your time - fast.
    For crying out loud, people!

From Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 13, No. 11, November 2005:

"We note that a good many people who presume to teach modern smallarms technique are clumsy about their terminology. I make no claim to hold copyrights on these things, but since the doctrine is already established, using established nomenclature, it would be nice if people paid attention to these things more carefully. For instance, a "double tap" is not a "hammer," nor vice versa. There are other examples."

A "double tap" IS a "controlled pair"!

Feedback Score
    Posted by RWK:
    For crying out loud, people!

From Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 13, No. 11, November 2005:

"We note that a good many people who presume to teach modern smallarms technique are clumsy about their terminology. I make no claim to hold copyrights on these things, but since the doctrine is already established, using established nomenclature, it would be nice if people paid attention to these things more carefully. For instance, a "double tap" is not a "hammer," nor vice versa. There are other examples."

A "double tap" IS a "controlled pair"!
    One man's opinion/definition. Not mine and not what I was taught. I don't intend to take anything away from Jeff Cooper but he is not the ultimate source of training methods nor firearms terminology.

Controlled pairs are defined differently than double taps by quite a few high quality and highly trained military instructors. I trained under a few of these. Different techniques defined by different terminology. Makes sense on all levels.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoChaser View Post
    One man's opinion/definition. Not mine and not what I was taught. I don't intend to take anything away from Jeff Cooper but he is not the ultimate source of training methods nor firearms terminology.

Controlled pairs are defined differently than double taps by quite a few high quality and highly trained military instructors. I trained under a few of these. Different techniques defined by different terminology. Makes sense on all levels.
    Seems to me like more and more instructors are ditching the term "double-tap" altogether as vague, misleading and otherwise conditioning a flawed expectation just like the "one shot stop".

IMO doubletap, hammer pair, controlled pair...whatever. Shoot the f*(&ker to the ground fast enough that you don't miss your intended target. At closer ranges...speed and accuracy increase. At longer ranges you better have to be A LOT more "controlled".
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 12-06-08 at 11:09.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast