Wolves are a hot-button topic where I live in the Inland NW (Eastern WA to Western MT, roughly speaking). They have had an undeniable impact on big game species since their reintroduction. Since they are, for better or worse, a native species to this area, my opinion is that they belong. Furthermore, I do not see how a responsible conservationist could argue otherwise. Fostering a natural environment as opposed to one artificially inflated with regard to certain species seems narrow-minded and short-sighted to me.

My only real complaint with wolf reintroduction, in Idaho especially, was the fact that they were allowed to roam completely unchecked for so long. The number of proposed breeding pairs was exceeded very quickly due to no hunting or trapping. Idaho now has essentially year-round trapping and hunting seasons for wolves of which I try to take every advantage.

In regards to trapping, I understand, and to some extent share, ethical reservations. That said, it remains one of the most effective tools available in controlling certain populations of animals- specifically predators given that they are relatively more difficult to hunt. The only snares allowed for wolves in Idaho are patterned after those used in Alaska and consist of braided aircraft cable suspended off of the ground. They are really ideally placed for an animal the size of an adult wolf, the most common bycatch being deer. I know a few very successful trappers who have reported catching nothing else. The snares are effective and quick killers as well. With regard to leg holds, while the animal is immobilized, it is not as gruesome as some make it out to be and the trappers that I know check their sets more often than the required minimum of 72 hours and ensure a quick kill when they are successful