Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
Personally, I have used Gun Scrubber to hose down LPKs to get them to look gray. Afterwards, I hit the trigger with some steel wool to give it some wear. If you come across a repro A1 port door, you can hit it with Gun Scrubber and steel wool too. Black trigger guards can be a bit harder and you may have to use some naval jelly to get it to look gray. I have used the Gun Scrubber on black trigger guards and hit them with steel wool and it lightened them up a bit, but they were still darker than the XM Gray lower. If you are using black receivers, you can hit them with Gun Scrubber. Make sure they are dry and them hit them with some super fine steel wool. You can use the steel wool to get the desired color you are looking for, but it will still not match the XM Gray. Painting is not a good alternative as it can wear off. As far as aging or creating wear, use a fine grit sandpaper and make sure you hit the high spots on the parts like the receivers, charging handle, FSB, and FH.

Here are some pics of my XM16E1 build. The receivers had fresh XM Gray anodizing on them and I went to work.

Here is a pic of my A2 clone where I used a black PSA lower and worked on it so that it would closely match the dark gray A2 upper.

Finally, a legit use for Gun Scrubber.

I knew a guy who got a NIB M-10 years ago when they were still under $3k. He heard talk about how they could stand up to anything, were the AK of subguns, etc. and after shooting a few hundred rounds took it home and hosed it down with Gun Scrubber. The plastic back strap actually melted into goo and about 50% of the finish "bubbled." This was on a pre 86 vintage weapon mind you.