Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Carry Ammo: Federal HST vs. Speer Gold-Dot vs. Underwood Gold-Dot

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    well ya.... of course we can all agree that practice and proficiency is more important that what bullet you are shooting but once we have achieved the skill to hit what we shoot at, bullet design is the next part of the equation and why we are here now, right?
    I agree that I don't think anybody on this forum is making the assertion of seeking a hardware solution to a software problem. With such low ammo prices for these premium HP's, why not avail ourselves of the best tech and performance reasonably available? Hell, when Gold Dot's go on sale, they can be had for nearly practice ammo prices.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Shot placement is king. Pick one of the DockGKR approved loads and put them where they belong. I would avoid anything not on the list. There is no reason to be using a 147gr +p+ load except maybe out of a sub gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Both HST and Gold Dot are on Dr. Roberts recommended list, so ether is fine. Personally I'd stick with the OEM brands and skip the boutique stuff. There is no real benefit at potential downsides.

I would (and have) be totally comfortable carrying either one although if I have my choice lean a bit towards 147gr HST.

-john
    This right here. As long as whatever I am carrying has proven to be 100% reliable in my own carry pistol, I am perfectly happy with either HST or Gold Dot. I try not to overthink it - my energy is probably better spent improving my skills than analyzing the last 1/10 of 1% of terminal ballistics of my carry ammo. My 9's get 147 grain HST, My .40 gets Gold Dot, and my 45's get 230 grain HST - I have never varied from that simply because those are the loads that I have proven reliable in each of them.

Feedback Score
    Any are fine except for those particularly objectionable for you, your gun, or their terminal performance.

In other words there are lots of decent choices and only a few bad ones. You want something reliable, accurate, and shoots to the point of aim as you desire.

If it doesn't run smoothly in your gun, has a muzzle flash or recoil you don't like, is less accurate than something else, don't use that stuff.

A 50 gr 9mm, or pre-fragmented bullet, or a +p+ in your Keltec Pf9 are probably good examples of bad choices/a mismatch.

But if an XTP, Hi-Shok, HST, Gold Dot, Silvertip, Ranger T, etc all shot well and to point of aim in my gun I'm going to buy whatever is cheaper and go do something more likely to get me home safely like check the air in my tires.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-31-16 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    well ya.... of course we can all agree that practice and proficiency is more important that what bullet you are shooting but once we have achieved the skill to hit what we shoot at, bullet design is the next part of the equation and why we are here now, right?
    Yes, to a degree. However there comes a point where one starts looking for a unicorn, magic round that does not exist. In the grand scheme of things and all else being equal, is it going to matter if the BG was hit with a Ranger T, HST or Gold Dot? I don't know but I'd wager probably not. People just tend to overthink things.
    Last edited by tacticaldesire; 09-01-16 at 01:32.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    To be honest I felt well served for all the years I carried 9mm ball. If shot placement was good, it was good. If shot placement was bad it was bad. The same can be said I think of all firearms. A .50 caliber round to the little toe isn't going to stop someone while a .22 short sent down the ear channel with the barrel screwed in the hole will do the job.
    I may be the only one that disagrees with this part of your statement.

Call me a wuss, but I think a .50cal to my little toe would definitely stop all aggression in me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    didnt want to start a new theead and since this one seemed to fit.....

how important are bonded bullets for civilians that probably wont be shooting through barriers? Aren't bonded bullets more important for shooting through cars that LE might encounter?

i have seen 45acp JHP separate after shooting some prickly pear cactus, then hit the dirt. after recovery in the ground it was separted.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

how important are bonded bullets for civilians that probably wont be shooting through barriers? Aren't bonded bullets more important for shooting through cars that LE might encounter?

i have seen 45acp JHP separate after shooting some prickly pear cactus, then hit the dirt. after recovery in the ground it was separted.
    Don't look at it as just needed for cars but as for barriers in general. Like wall board or hollow core doors.

I choose HST. Even though it's not bonded it damn sure seems to like it is. So I'd go with a bonded round absent HST.

Feedback Score

There may be barriers between an assailant and you. Most bullets that can kill a BG will go through light cover as well (and still kill). Heavier cover will stop nearly all of them. I wouldn't worry about it.

It is true that police shoot into cars more than non-police. 9mm and other service rounds do better than weaker rounds at this. But being pistol bullets are so much slower than say, rifle bullets, I don't think even they have to worry about a pistol bullet completely coming apart.

But if your concerned a heavy for caliber bullet of tough construction and loaded hot is best if you want to it to go through things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Don't look at it as just needed for cars but as for barriers in general. Like wall board or hollow core doors.

I choose HST. Even though it's not bonded it damn sure seems to like it is. So I'd go with a bonded round absent HST.
    I wonder all the time wouldn't bone as in breast plate be considered a barrier?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast