Thread: Saker K, BCM KMR-A, BCM 11.5" elw, 180 rounds of moderate fire

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Saker K, BCM KMR-A, BCM 11.5" elw, 180 rounds of moderate fire

I've had this set up as a duty rifle for a few months and I'm probably getting close to 800 rounds. On range days we'll shoot but nothing that will really get the gun smoking.

This week we did some drills that went through 3 mags in maybe less than 10 minutes. The gun was oiled with Mobil 1 5-30 because it's what my truck uses. With PIG gloves the rail was getting warm but manageable. The right lens of my eye pro would have a bit of oil slung on it.

We finished the 3 mags and let the second group shoot the drill while we topped off the mags. Maybe 10 minutes later we run the same drill. By the end of it I could still hold the rail with gloves but it burned and I needed to slide the support hand closer in, away from the gas block. Rail covers are in my future.

And other than 5 rounds of duty ammo to confirm zero, those were all I put through the rifle and although I expected it to be dirty, I was surprised at how dry the bolt and carrier was appeared. Shooting suppressed in the past, it'd be dirty but still had oil on the rail and bolt and cam pin. The sucker looked dry. Now when I ran my finger over the carrier along the rail where I previously had a generous amount of oil, my finger would be black, so there's still some lube there. Working the charging handle it did feel normal.

Will I burn through 3 mags in an officer involved shooting? Possible but ridiculously unlikely. On a range day or class, this is definitely going to happen. I've been so used to just lubing the rifle before the range and being good to go for hundreds of rounds; I'm going to need to reapply much more frequently, depending on rate of fire.

Still happy with my setup and haven't had issues other than locking back on empty which has been resolved with H3 and new mags.

Does my rate of fire and burning up the oil that quickly sound about right?
    Last edited by Jesse H; 10-01-16 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This will probably turn into a favorite lube thread but recently I got my hands on a bottle of the Geissele/ALG Go Juice. I put 90 rounds of suppressed fire on my Noveske 10.5" upper and the oil was still there and looked wet. Not lube related but it was enough of a cadence to melt my suppressor wrap. It's half of what you fired but I'm sure it wouldn't have changed with another 90 through it. Nothing appeared to be burned off lube wise.
    Last edited by 021411; 10-01-16 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Your BCG should not be that dry after 180 rounds. I just ran ran my KAC 11.5 for 200+ suppressed rounds (2days ago) and then another 550 non-suppressed (yesterday) and you can still noticeably see lube everywhere on the BCG. Not dry by any means.. I use Slip2000 EWL. Not that mobil 1 is bad, but maybe try out something else if you continue to have issues moving forward.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I heard it said, in an argument against the use of motor oil as a gun lube, that a truck engine doesn't get nearly as hot as a hard use AR, so therefore, the use of motor oil as a gun lube should be avoided as motor oil isn't designed for those conditions. There are so many decent to superb gun lubes out there, use one of those.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Motor oil has a significantly lower flashpoint compared to lubes developed for firearm use. For a suppressed rifle I would never recommend using a motor oil. Get some FireClean, ALG Go juice, Slip200 EWl, or whatever the flavor of the month is.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 10-02-16 at 19:57.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Appreciate the input! Hadn't considered flashpoint of motor oil when lubing weapons because prior to running suppressed it wasn't an issue.

I'll try not to turn this into a lube thread and as suggested and go with a quality firearms oil such as Remoil (I kid). Thanks all.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've put 800+ rounds through my BCM 11.5 suppressed (SOCOM) in 2 days before at a class (including some very high volume fire), and all I did was add some more Fireclean at the start of the second day. Shooting suppressed is a lot like shoot blanks, except much hotter- lots of carbon. And yep, rail covers are a great idea.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a long time user of mobil 1... i gotta say.. after adding a can to my AR it doesn't cut it anymore. I'm testing out the ALG go juice tomorrow.