Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions on getting newbies to not limp wrist pistols?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for the replies guys! You all have given me some great suggestions, and few things I never even thought about.

I'll definitely implement these ideas the next go around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    When I first shot a pistol I shot a G17 and a Beretta 92FS on the same day. I limp wristed both of them badly, having FTE every 3-5 rounds. Coming from a competitive archery background where you don't apply more than a couple ounces of grip pressure, I figured pistols were the same thing.

Later on I heard someone say the term limp wrist. This threw me off. On the next outing I tried to make my wrist tighter or stiffer but it didn't help. I eventually learned the only thing that helped was to squeeze my grip.
    I'd tell new shooters to grip with a similar amount of grip to hanging from monkey bars. That should get the point across. Proper hand position in a 2 handed grip helps a lot too.
    Interesting,
    The M9 is one type of pistol I have seen people have a hard time to make it limp wrist.
    The Glock on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Interesting,
    The M9 is one type of pistol I have seen people have a hard time to make it limp wrist.
    The Glock on the opposite side of the spectrum.
    It malfunctioned less than the g17, but still pretty often.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'll echo what's already been covered. High grip, and squeeze just below the tremor point. Using smart phones with slow motion is a great, fast way to show them the difference. Muzzle rise is ussually cut in at least half.

Also, squeezing the grip in to crush the top of the grip.

Feedback Score
    A high grip will help the pistol cycle correctly even with a looser hold. The web of the hand really needs to be wedged into the backstrap underneath the tang.
    Also, a flinch or severe jerking of the trigger can cause "limp wrist" malfunctions. Mixing dummy rounds with live ammo can help diagnose this problem.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Practice with .22 pistols first?

I've worked with young shooters in particular, who are not USED to the noise, much less the recoil, of heavier-hitting calibers. A good Ruger Mk. pistol (I have a Mk.III bull barrel) is a great way to get 'em used to the noise, and get 'em on PAPER, because there's no flinching or limp wristing. Get 'em comfortable and accurate, and then bump 'em up to the bigger calibers.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    One shot of any reasonable caliber is typically enough even for a total noob to gauge the amount grip firmness required.

For someone I do not sort of completely trust with a proper grip, I would load single round and tell to hold the gun as tight as they can. The physics and the anatomy will do the rest: limp grip yields quite punishing feedback, so people readjust quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really think starting off with a .22 is best - if you have one. I have .22 replicas or conversions for all my pistols and my service rifle. When I was a young pup I taught my first wife how to shoot - Ruger Mark I, Marlin 37, a Remington 870 and a Colt Combat Commander were the weapons I owned that I actually shot. I'd like to say that I thought it through, but the fact is I was a broke Marine, and .22 was way way affordable. After a summer of shooting with the .22's we went to shoot the .45 one day. Her comment - 'it's loud.'

I'm a big fan of the .22 for teaching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12