Enchanted Rock cont - Part 3

After taking in the view, socializing and getting photos, I made the short descent with a fellow hiker and got back to camp. I unloaded the truck, got set up, went and took one of the coldest showers I've had since camping Leaky in high school and then get dinner going. I splurged this time, took a cooler since it was a quickie over-nighter. The steak and veggies along with a refreshing beverage while along side a camp fire were a perfect close out to a pretty nice day.

The night got a bit chilly but nothing the gear wasn't prepared for. I woke up 0630 and got right to it. Packed the single burner little propane stove, got coffee and breakfast. I wasn't certain if I was going to hike before heading out, but my body felt fine so I opted to go again. Closed down camp, packed the truck and grabbed the pack one more time.

I headed out the same trail head, my plan was to do the entire Loop Trail. It's only 4mi so wouldn't take long at all, away I went. At the point where Echo Trail came in, I veered left to continue on the outer Loop Trail.

This part of the trail was definitely less traveled, but it was great having it all to myself in the morning. It offered gorgeous 360* views, including nice shots of Enchanted Rock, Freshman Mountain, Buzzard's Roost and Turkey Peak. The trail also ran over and along the creek and past the Buzzard Roost group camp area. Along the way I found my first arrowhead in the wild.

I looked down and there it was. My Dad is a soil's guy by profession and he's got an incredible collection after almost 40yrs. He seems to find them effortlessly, me on the other hand, barely finding my first one lol I was so thrilled I texted him right away. He said that looks like a Matamoros Point. Anyway, it's the little things in life, right?

I wanted to take more photos as the terrain was great, but I was trying to make time. I'm sure I'll be out there again soon.

All in all, great overnight trip. I thought the cost was a little steep ($18 for one night camp site + $7 day use fee). Where as my GMNP trip was $21 for two nights and no use fee since I was camping. Oh well. Anyone going ought to plan it well, the park does close when it gets full which is pretty much on the weekends since it is a popular spot. I'd recommend a weekday if you can swing it. Cell service is spotty in camp. You do get it up on the rock and in some areas of trails. Enchanted Rock is a pretty easy trip and hike, as always be prepared.

End Enchanted Rock