Thread: mak 90 stocks handgaurds etc.

Feedback Score

mak 90 stocks handgaurds etc.

I recently got a great deal on a stamped MAK90 with the straight cut receiver. I am wanting to replace the thumbhole stock with a quality collapsible unit as well as the handguards . I am also needing a decent place to mount an Aimpoint ML2 I have sitting around. Any recommendations on solid products for this project are appreciated. I realize quality dosent come cheap but I would prefer not to break the bank.
    Thanks BHJ

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd use K-Var US made synthetic lower handguard, Vltor adapter for the stock, Ultimak gas tube mount for the Aimpoint, and pistol grip of your choice.

You'll need to replace the fire control group with a US made system like the Tapco G2 or the K-Var for legality. You'll want the double hook trigger for milled or Chicom Type 56 systems.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    I was under the impression that the MAK 90 had a different size gas tube. Will the ultimak fit?
    Thanks BHJ

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I was under the impression that the MAK 90 had a different size gas tube. Will the ultimak fit?
    Thanks BHJ

No, they're the same.

This is the one you want.

http://ultimak.com/m2-b.htm

There are some stuck threads at the top of this forum regarding AK's that you might want to look through.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I'd use K-Var US made synthetic lower handguard, Vltor adapter for the stock, Ultimak gas tube mount for the Aimpoint, and pistol grip of your choice.
    +1 to what Templar said. I only reply to add that you may want to look into the new US Palm AK Grip. I recently added them to my two AK's and really like the hand filling size and shape and the way they position my hand higher toward the receiver. I find I like them much better than the Ergo grips I had and a huge improvement over the stock grip.
    Last edited by RD62; 01-26-11 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    You'll need to replace the fire control group with a US made system like the Tapco G2 or the K-Var for legality. You'll want the double hook trigger for milled or Chicom Type 56 systems.
    Templar,

Is there an appreciable difference that would push someone to one or the other of these trigger groups? I am leary of Tapco products in general but have certainly heard good things about the G2. I feel comfortable with K-Var's quality, and have also recently heard of Texas AK Triggers. I'm looking to pick up a FCG soon so I'm interested to see what experiences and info you might could share on these options. I know Red Star Arms has a FCG too, but I would prefer to stay away from anything with set screws.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    Templar,

Is there an appreciable difference that would push someone to one or the other of these trigger groups? I am leary of Tapco products in general but have certainly heard good things about the G2. I feel comfortable with K-Var's quality, and have also recently heard of Texas AK Triggers. I'm looking to pick up a FCG soon so I'm interested to see what experiences and info you might could share on these options. I know Red Star Arms has a FCG too, but I would prefer to stay away from anything with set screws.
    The G2 wasn't designed by Tapco, it's gtg.....I personally like the Arsenal stuff, either one would be a good choice.

I don't have any experience with the Texas triggers, and the Red Star Arms are a hobby gun trigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I recently got a great deal on a stamped MAK90 with the straight cut receiver. I am wanting to replace the thumbhole stock with a quality collapsible unit as well as the handguards . I am also needing a decent place to mount an Aimpoint ML2 I have sitting around. Any recommendations on solid products for this project are appreciated. I realize quality dosent come cheap but I would prefer not to break the bank.
    Thanks BHJ
    If you want a wooden stock: Ironwood Designs, hands down. Great company with really good wood.

For a collapsible stock: do you want to cut the tang or not? If you don't cut it, get the Vltor tube. If you do chop the tang, do you want to weld on a new back plate, or use a press fit adapter? E-TAC/Gogun makes an awesome one piece weld-on back plate that takes AR receiver extensions, or if you don't want to weld go with an Ace adapter block.

For your ML2, I'd go with an Ultimak. Should be able to get a lower 1/3 cowitness no problem.

Feedback Score
    Well I've been messing around in other haunts for a couple of years, but wanted to stop back in and post up a pic of the finished product and say thanks for the recommendations.
    This rifle was finished quite some time ago and the quality parts have been rock solid for several years now. Nothing like a long term rifle parts review right?
    The darn Aimpoint ARMs mount I have is just way too high for my liking on an AK and I havent found a low enough one available so I put a Vortex SPARC that I had sitting around because I didn't like the SPARC on my AR. It has been a surprisingly good little optic and held zero and also held up to the heat and abuse of riding the ultimak gas tube for years.
    I went with the VLTOR tube, a Magpul stock, Hogue grip, Kvar handguard Tapco G2 trigger and since the Aimpoint ML2 sat too high, put a SPARC on top.
    several years down the road everything is still rock solid and works like a champ.

Thanks Again BHJ
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 04-15-16 at 22:57.