Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol caliber carbine for home defense??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Much as I love the MP5 and MP5K, after shooting and stripping the APC9 I was very impressed.
    I wouldn't recommend it due to the high cost and proprietary mags.

I guess you could say I felt some of what you are describing when the Taurus SMT-9-type carbines came in... although they're both just cheaply made, blowback 9mm subguns with extrusions over polymer lowers.

I bought one when they discontinued them and the price got slashed, and I've taken it on as a project to turn it into an SBR.

Anyway, I'm sure the OP aintgottimefo'dat, and I love, love, LOVE my 635-type with a Hy-tech block, so my advice remains the same.

Feedback Score
    I'd take a look at the CZ scorpion evo carbine as they should be available now or soon. They should be under 1k, the mags are cheap, and all around it looks good.

The SIG MPX carbine version is another option but I checked one out in person and the handguard is ridiculously fat. It is plain uncomfortable to me, but I'm guessing they did that anticipating people suppressing them or something? Weird move because then it would require an integrally suppressed barrel or being made an SBR which defeats the point.

Feedback Score

Support your reasoning Ina PCC

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    So, I would appreciate your thoughts as to pistol caliber carbines to give me a better line of sight and still allow me to shoot at the local indoor ranges. I am open to your learned suggestions, as I am an ex-JAG, without any real world firearms experience (other than occasional hunting and range time).
    Let me validate your line of thinking - I think you have a good decision making process. I still have a shotgun and an AR 5.56 in my ready safe, but think a pistol caliber would be my first selection in a majority of cases. For me, that is presently a handgun.

I have a PCC AR and an AR pistol in 9mm. I have been considering making one of those a primary selection. 9mm seems valid for most of my tactical scenarios, especially lower noise, blast and flash in an enclosed space.

My concerns of a multiple person home invasion is lower.
    My concerns of aggressors with body armor is lower.
    My comfort level with a high velocity round is lower as is using barrier blind rounds inside lightly built construction.
    I strongly support your desire to have an easily trainable weapon system, that has been a blessing for me on having more range time with a 9mm over 5.56 due to pistol caliber restrictions.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine killed a terrorist yesterday with 2 head shots from his CZ75. A reminder that shot placement is important, and that with good shot placement you will be well served.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    A friend of mine killed a terrorist yesterday with 2 head shots from his CZ75. A reminder that shot placement is important, and that with good shot placement you will be well served.
    Wait...what?
    Think this deserves description.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Wait...what?
    Think this deserves description.
    Something in Israel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 terrorist tried a home invasion, the father fought hand to hand with the terrorist giving his wife and children time to escape and to set off the alarm. Both the security officer of the village and the IDF responded. The terrorist fled on foot with the good guys in hot pursuit. My buddy and some soldiers went after one terrorist and caught up with him, the terrorist turned and attacked with a knife the soldier walking point. My buddy from about 10 meters shot the terrorist twice in the head. One shot center of forehead and the other high on the right cheek .

So a woman and 5 children weren't murdered and both terrorist were killed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    2 terrorist tried a home invasion, the father fought hand to hand with the terrorist giving his wife and children time to escape and to set off the alarm. Both the security officer of the village and the IDF responded. The terrorist fled on foot with the good guys in hot pursuit. My buddy and some soldiers went after one terrorist and caught up with him, the terrorist turned and attacked with a knife the soldier walking point. My buddy from about 10 meters shot the terrorist twice in the head. One shot center of forehead and the other high on the right cheek .

So a woman and 5 children weren't murdered and both terrorist were killed.
    Well that just made my day.... F*&k terrorists

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Well that just made my day.... F*&k terrorists
    Glad to have been the messanger of news that made your day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12