Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Which S&W .44 mag?

Feedback Score

This is a very old pic of my first Model 29, a 6.5" 29-2.

Well worn, with many miles on the hip in big critter country, it is still a favorite. Even for small critters.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone have any experience with a smith and Wesson night guard in .44 mag? Local gun shop has one at a really good price. I don't plan on carrying it. I just want a .44 and really like the nightguard line. I'm aware of the light frame and I'm sure heavy recoil just trying to get a first hand from someone. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Tequila45
    I had a Night Guard in .45acp and was not impressed. The finish was very fragile and after a couple hunderd rounds the metal dingess to prevent the frame from flame cutting looked puny. Recoil was annoying too.

To the OP
    I've owned several .44 over the years and find the 4" Mountain Gun to be almost perfect. Good accuracy, portable, powerful enough when you want it to be and a powder puff with light loads.

Feedback Score
    I had to go look for the model and test the trigger. I have a half-lug 629-6, DA pull is 12 pounds and SA is 4.2 pounds. Mine is Bright SS, cylinder highly shined, frame is less so but still shiny. I bought it new about three years ago. I don't really know why. I have never loaded it, let alone shot it. I might one of these years.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I am also a fan of the "Mountain Gun".
    For me the combination of size, weight, power and accuracy make it a favorite at the ranch or hunting.
    I've installed FO front sights and have done some trigger work and opened the cylinder throats to .4315" for shooting cast bullets (they were too tight from the factory and cast bullet accuracy was poor).
    A 250 gr. KTSWC or 260 gr. WFNGC @ 1100 fps+- will shoot through 4' of hog.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Lost River;2271699]

I enjoyed this. The box and the pistol!

Feedback Score
    I love the looks of a blued gun, but I'm a fan of stainless steel guns for carry in the outdoors... That being said, I recommend the S&W 629.

Now some considerations. Although there are bigger guns out there, N frame revolvers are big and heavy to lug around. A good quality holster and belt make it better, but they are still heavy. Longer barrels make them even heavier.

Now to the trade off. Lighter guns have more painful recoil, however heavy guns can be too HEAVY to carry. Is this a gun you will only take to the range and maybe to/from your hunting stand? Maybe a longer barrel is in order. Better sight radius for aiming, the weight helps to tame recoil, and you get higher velocities.

Is this a gun you will wear on long hikes to provide protection from bitey-scratchy varmints? The shorter barrel lightens the load you will carry and since it is a "carry a lot - shoot a little" gun the added recoil is less of an issue.

My compromise is the 4" gun below. 4" is legal for hunting deer in my state and you still get adequate velocities. However, even with a thin profile 4" barrel my Mountain Gun is still very heavy for all day carry.

I bought it while living in Alaska to have on me while out hunting, hiking, and fishing. I have worn it numerous times for up to a week straight while out camping and hunting. Heavy yes, but as I mentioned a good carry system helps.

Edmo

Last edited by Edmo; 03-09-16 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The 629 is a great revolver it can do so much from a handy back country revolver in a 4 inch mountain gun configuration to a long range revolver with a 6 to 8 inch barrel with a full under lug and most everything in between.
    12640409_10205689926275273_8585636340110753675_o.jpg
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast