Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Good point. I'm not sure he does AR barrels but it does appear that Krieger offers to chamber, headspace, thread and crown barrels themselves for not a significant price increase so that may be the route I go.

Thanks for the explanation about semi accuracy issues due to magazines as well. I always assumed bolt guns were inherently more accurate due to the fact you didn't have any reciprocating mass and a gas system to deal with. That probably still has something to do with it but what you explained about the magazine and bullet deformation makes more sense.

At 600 yards the hangers are in front of a dirt berm and misses are easily observable on the 4" but group size isn't measurable so the 10" with a 4" circle may be a better route.

This was the first time out with my Rem700 at 600yards shooting factory 168gr FGMM. My 175gr handloads shrink these groups to about 4" and I can ring that gong pretty consistently (hence the purpose of the thread ), but unfortunately I don't have any pics of those groups.

What you can't tell from the picture and why this is one of my favorite target pics is because this was my very first time shooting the rifle (I had just bracketed my groups to get it on target) I had gotten up off the gun to clean the barrel after every shot, it was on a Harris bipod, and the wind was gusting between 10-15mph (you can barely see a wind flag to the left of the scope in the first pic)

I enjoy the challenge of long range shooting. After learning how to do it, I found making wind calls and range estimations and really pushing the boundaries fun. One of the first rifles I ever spent significant time with shooting at a distance was a free floated 12.5" BCM SS barreled upper with an ACOG on it. The old BR guys at the range thought I was flipping nuts shooting M855 out of an SBR at 600 yards with a milspec trigger and 4x optic off a grip pod and wooden blocks 3 MOA 10 round groups were alright with me though...

I'm not sure why I share this other than to expand on where I've been and why I want this gun. You bring up an excellent point that the light recoil and semi auto nature are what I'm after with this rifle. The 700 is great for putting bullets where I want them to go, but the gun is heavy, it's bolt action, and recoil is stiff even suppressed. I want something slightly lighter that I can transition to different targets rapidly.

I guess it becomes "Is the juice worth the squeeze?" If I can buy a bespoke $800 upper and ring the 10" all day and the 6" most of the time, but spending $2,000 and 2 months of lead time will only get me a 50% hit rate on the 4"...I'm not that patient nor rich.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 03-09-16 at 15:51.
    Why do the loudest do the least?