Thread: Ruger AR556?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Ruger AR556?

Question, a friend from work bought a 2 piece rail for his new Ruger AR556 and broke the Delta ring installing it. So, he asks me if I can replace it? I say sure bring it in and I'll look at it. I've never played with one, so being the AR guy want to at least check it out. So he does, and the thing has a plastic ring that threads onto the proprietary barrel nut and a very heavy barrel with a non standard front FSB. My questions for those that may know before I bring it home and find I can't do anything;

1) What barrel wrench will work with that barrel nut (I've got 6 or 8 different ones)
    2) It appears that the pins for the FSB are not taper pins, is this true?
    3) Can I replace thier barrel nut with a standard one, which I have on hand?

Thanks for any insight into this AR type.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    If it is not a standard barrel nut then it is likely some proprietary design that may use a proprietary wrench. Try looking at the Ruger website and see if they sell such a wrench. Some companies use straight pins for the FSB and some use taper pins, either is better than a clamp on gas block. If it is a standard AR barrel then you can replace the barrel nut with any other barrel nut.

While you have the rifle on hand you might want to check out a few other things as well like the gas port, castle nut, fire control group, bolt carrier group, etc. just to make sure that the rifle is in good shape. If not you should suggest to your friend that he either buy or stake parts as needed.

Has your friend used his AR556 before and found its function to be satisfactory?
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    1) Any standard AR armorers wrench will work.
    2) The pins are non standard taper pins that hammer out from left to right, if youre looking at it from the rear.
    3) A standard barrel nut will fit as well. Last time I worked on one of these I onstalled an MI gen 2 keymod handguard with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    1) Any standard AR armorers wrench will work.
    2) The pins are non standard taper pins that hammer out from left to right, if youre looking at it from the rear.
    3) A standard barrel nut will fit as well. Last time I worked on one of these I onstalled an MI gen 2 keymod handguard with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Leonidas, I appreciate the information. I've got a complete Delta assembly and barrel nut in my toolbox. I never planned on needing those again, I've probably cut off over 20 because I didn't want to pull the barrel to install rails!

Hwikek, I've had to maintain my departments AR's for many years so always do the once over. As we are rural when the Deputies bring me their issued carbines I usually give them back with a custom paint job ala Pat Rogers school of painting!
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"