Quote Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post
From what I've seen, the best place to start with any attempt to reload for accuracy is to find the components your gun likes in the amount it likes and then be exacting in your case prep, powder measuring and bullet seating.

If you do that, you'll be way ahead of any factory produced match grade ammo.

In order to find what your gun likes, you're going to have to get a chronometer, spend quite a bit on components for testing and spend a lot of time at the range being very meticulous in your record keeping. You should only be changing one thing at a time, so be ready to shoot a LOT of bullets and recording exactly what you changed.

For example, My brother-in-law has a .308 that I'm working up a load for. I have both 150 gr and 165 gr bullets and have loaded ten of each with the same primers, to the same OAL and the same powder, but with several different powder loads appropriate for each bullet weight working up in .5gr increments.

Now I get to go to the range and shoot them and record the results. I will be noting the temperature, wind, muzzle velocity, and accuracy of each at 100 yards. I will then pet that data into a spreadsheet and compute maximum velocity spread, standard deviation and energy. I will also have the powder, primer, who made the case and the bullet and the bullet weight.

Once I have that, I can start tinkering with the other variables such as primers and powders.

After a while I will have found the most accurate load for each of those two bullets in that rifle. Then I can use the data I already have to change to a different bullet maker and make educated guesses about what to try for that bullet.

After what is likely to be several hundred test shots and hours of reloading and note taking over what is likely to be several months, I should have a load that will consistently shoot very accurately.

Then I can decide if I want to bother with fine tuning it with all the other things out there such as neck turning.

Reloading for superior accuracy in your rifle is not a quick task and cannot be rushed and you will never actually be done with it since there will always be some new bullet or powder to try or some new gadget that is supposed to make your ammo more accurate.

So have fun!
I will say this with a respectful tone. Please don't post things like this until you have read through the reams of information that is provided by very very knowledgeable and experienced reloaders - there are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start.
Seriously - do the community a favor and delete this post. Every single statement you made is wrong or dangerous.

v/r