Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dumb question, why don't more people build form 1 suppressors?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Put it this way. My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that for makers ATF does not consider the suppressor complete until it's fired. Once it's fired you're done, Good bad or ugly.

That said, is it likely you'd ever get caught if you wanted to experiment? No, especially not if you're working out of your garage, shooting off your back porch, etc etc. You could say the same for just building a suppressor with no form 1.

For me though, I've heard Leavenworth isn't a fun place and would rather not risk an extended vacation there, no matter the odds. Especially not for the fairly minimum cost of a tax stamp.

And if I decide I want a whiz bang super efficient suppressor, I'll just go buy a silencer Co, aac or whatever, which I have done.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    You made the device, right? If it needs modified or fixed... just do it & STFU about it. I mean, worse case scenario you have destroy it & start over & build nearly the same thing w/the same s/n who's even going to know unless you tell anyone? Why everyone insists on getting clarification or posting publicly about such idiocy is beyond me.
    That's pretty much the way I see someone doing it... I get that. It still sucks. As to why I personally ask now, is because I can do no wrong before I start. After I start, and should I fail, I might not be able to ask for assistance without causing myself the potential for grief. IOW, -after- you get your F1 stamp it probably does behoove one to STFU and not ask any more questions.

@elephant

Or are they saying you CAN NOT have more components needed to make 1 complete silencer unit? Or is that a grey area?
    No, it's not grey at all. Read those letters.
    Ok, your scenario...
    1. 1 Tube
    2. A set of K Baffles to fill tube
    3. A Mono-Baffle or whatever it's called.. the one piece baffle system
    4. Another baffle system different from 1 and 2.

That's 3 suppressors because it is clear your intent is to make a suppressor. One baffle set is legal with that tube. The other two are not... not for one stamp anyway. Especially if you were collecting data on dB reduction, POI shifts and such.. The intent would simply be plain as day, even if your final intention was simply to have only the 'one best can' when you got through.

Now again, who sees what, is a different story, but if you laid all that out on a table an ATF agent could say where are your 'stamps', not where is your 'stamp'. That's according to the way those letters above are written. I can actually appreciate that provided there has to be a law in place but damn when they say you can't repair your own legally made and taxed item.... that's just screwed up.

They way the rules are written seem almost like a free pass the way I understood it:
    I read the rules from ATF on and off just to keep up and I can't recall ever reading anything in NFA that I would term "a free pass". A roadblock that is passable perhaps, but never a free pass.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    For a rich corporate exec type you sure don't think much for yourself, do you?
    I never really considered my self to be the "corporate exec type". But I appreciate the compliment! Thanks

Feedback Score
    Jesus, you guys are way overcomplicating this.

An 07/sot can manufacture suppressors, replacement parts ie, recore a suppressor, replace endcaps, etc. A suppressor can be shortened for repair purposes, but not generally more than about 1/4". This is not defined, but is the accepted norm. Even an 07 cannot legally replace a tube by making another identical one and numbering it the same.

As an f1 builder, you are not an 07, so you cannot legally do any of the above things.
    It is not legal to:
    Experiment by making extra baffles, bafflestacks, etc.
    Make extra endcaps to fit different weapons.
    Lengthen the suppressor.
    Replace any damaged parts, or parts deemed not effective.
    Replace the tube.

You can make your suppressor shorter than the length specified on the f1. Simply send a letter to nfa branch telling them that you made it shorter, and what the length actually is. They will amend the registry.

If you make an oil filter suppressor, you cannot legally replace the filter.
    The 07s who make these are required to number the filter to the adapter. When you send it in to be replaced, they put the same sized new filter on it, and number it the same. This has been approved by atf as a "recore". Therefore, only an 07 can legally do this.
    If you do this, you are committing a felony. Thinking that atf can never know is bs. It is common knowledge that these don't last all that long when used on centerfire calibers. So, when your "like new" filter is seen on the well worn adapter you papered 5yrs ago, they know it's been replaced.
    This is why the f1 oil filter is mostly a waste of time and money. Even buying one is a waste, as after you've paid the recore fee several times, you've bought a low end suppressor that would still be running.

You can make modifications to the baffles you made, such as porting, "clipping", etc.

The whole "nobody will know, so it doesn't matter" thing does not change that one is committing a crime. And you might be surprised at the ways that you can be caught, accidently, by something you didn't think of.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    The whole "nobody will know, so it doesn't matter" thing does not change that one is committing a crime. And you might be surprised at the ways that you can be caught, accidently, by something you didn't think of.
    You mean like the two guys at a range with ears on and talking so loud you can hear them a half a block away.. "Oh yeah, I've had three baffle strikes and rebuilt this thing each time!" ... and the guy at the next bench if FBI, ATF, or local LEO that is not NFA friendly. Yep, I can see that happening real easy. Where I live anyway.

Who around here makes patches and bumper stickers?

Got F1 Suppressor? ... then STFU©

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    You mean like the two guys at a range with ears on and talking so loud you can hear them a half a block away.. "Oh yeah, I've had three baffle strikes and rebuilt this thing each time!" ... and the guy at the next bench if FBI, ATF, or local LEO that is not NFA friendly. Yep, I can see that happening real easy. Where I live anyway.

Who around here makes patches and bumper stickers?

Got F1 Suppressor? ... then STFU©
    The thing that separates criminals from every one else is criminals think "I'll never get caught" and everyone else assumes they will get caught.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah, those work.
    I was thinking more of the good friend at the bar, bragging while drunk. Or, you managed to hurt yourself, and your wife dialed 911. The cops show along with the meatwagon. They see what looks like an illegal suppressor, so atf gets called. Everything is fine, until the agent realizes there are more baffles than will fit in the tube.
    Since it was all on the bench in the open, it's all admissible.
    Your kid at school telling his friend, the cops kid, about how dad made a silencer, then messed it up, but then fixed it.
    But yeah, the range thing works too.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112