Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
I was pretty bummed that I wasn't able to get out there, but it looks like your trip went well. It's a good thing that you kept your awareness. You just never know when something bad will happen. There have been times when I thought I might save that bit of weight, and leave protection behind. I have since decided that a handgun and reload is essential equipment that is always in the pack or on my belt. There is no way that I would carry IWB on a hike, though.

Every time I hike the peak trail, if someone is behind me, I do the same thing you did and have experienced the exploding heart feeling. I really just want to be alone, but I don't want to get passed, either. I thought I was the only one.
I had a big reply typed up referencing your thread and things you commented on and I accidentally closed it out...

Starting fresh....
It did go very well. Very satisfied. My soul needed this trip. I was telling a coworker I was so exhausted, that evening, after wiping down and changing clothes, I felt that high again. You know that workout high you get? I had it, it was back and it was awesome. Over the past year or two I haven't felt that after my daily workouts. My stress wouldn't clear my mind from physical activity. This trip, this hike actually did it. I'm craving the next one.

I was wondering if you'd make it out. I meant to PM you my number before I left. My brain was in go mode and I blew right past it. I realized it when I was setting up my tent.

I was uncertain how IWB would go with comfort and carrying the pack and whatnot. But I was surprised, it carried pretty well and stayed put with all the jumping around I did. (Must say I'm a little flattered as the holster is one of my designs). Comfort wasn't an issue as far as fit but what was uncomfortable was the leather on my side holding the heat in. Same for my carry belt. Between the pack, my belt and holster it was hot. I'm considering switching to a nylon belt for hikes, just generally (my pants fall off if I don't). And I'm looking for other option for holster/pack. I've seen the HPG Runner's kit and similar products, but let's be real, that real estate is already occupied I'll keep looking

As for a pack, will definitely need one with waist straps to carry the load. I feel I carried more than I needed to for the trail but thinking ahead to doing more backcountry hikes, I'll have to also carry the things I left back at camp. That makes my shoulders ache.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
Thanks for posting the pics. I am glad they still have the logbook in there. The photos of the sunrise and sunset brought back memories.

By the way, is that a Mount Fuji climbing staff? I have one stashed here at Rancho Serious, with all the little stations branded into it. Good times.
Word.

That is a Mt Fuji climbing stick. Felt it important that it make the trek with me. Didn't let me down.

Now, if I can start a walking stick wood branding business on the trail....