Thread: So what does Mil-Spec mean???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Since we are all interested in gas port size, let's continue on down this road. One of the problems facing gas ports is erosion. As you fire your weapon, the gas port slowly (over thousands and thousands of rounds) grows bigger and bigger (allowing more gas to go down the tube). So that means that if you already have a large gas port, it will only get bigger!

The next question is, what can we do to help bleed off some of the excess gas and slow things down a bit? One of the things I like to do is switch out the bolt carrier to the LMT enhanced carrier (notice I did not say enhanced BCG). The LMT enhanced carriers have 3 gas vent holes. This seems to help get rid of some of the extra gas. The other thing you can do is try an H2/H3 buffer and a CS buffer spring (one or the other or combination of the two). You should also make sure that you are running a stiff extractor spring and a Crane O-Ring to help with extraction.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Since we are all interested in gas port size, let's continue on down this road. One of the problems facing gas ports is erosion. As you fire your weapon, the gas port slowly (over thousands and thousands of rounds) grows bigger and bigger (allowing more gas to go down the tube). So that means that if you already have a large gas port, it will only get bigger!

The next question is, what can we do to help bleed off some of the excess gas and slow things down a bit? One of the things I like to do is switch out the bolt carrier to the LMT enhanced carrier (notice I did not say enhanced BCG). The LMT enhanced carriers have 3 gas vent holes. This seems to help get rid of some of the extra gas. The other thing you can do is try an H2/H3 buffer and a CS buffer spring (one or the other or combination of the two). You should also make sure that you are running a stiff extractor spring and a Crane O-Ring to help with extraction.

C4

I think you are the first I've seen to recommend the LMT enhanced BC, I've wondered if the longer dwell time would not be easier on carbines but all the advice I've seen before was to stay away from the enhanced products. I've got a complete LMT with the standard BCG and it has performed as expected (100%) I also have a BM M4 "16 that I've stacked myself but wonder what other mods I should make, by the sounds of it I may need to start using Wolf in the BM

A big thank you to C4 and Rob_S, you guys have been godsends for running a civilian M4, keep up the good work.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    I think you are the first I've seen to recommend the LMT enhanced BC, I've wondered if the longer dwell time would not be easier on carbines but all the advice I've seen before was to stay away from the enhanced products. I've got a complete LMT with the standard BCG and it has performed as expected (100%) I also have a BM M4 "16 that I've stacked myself but wonder what other mods I should make, by the sounds of it I may need to start using Wolf in the BM

A big thank you to C4 and Rob_S, you guys have been godsends for running a civilian M4, keep up the good work.
    You are welcome. I don't think you only have to shoot under pressured ammo through your BM, but just be aware of what is going on inside your AR and that there are some things you can do to help the situation.

C4

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Grant,

Speaking of gas port erosion. Are you saying that the LMT enhanced carrier should be used when issues occur or to mitigate the problems from the beginning? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Grant,

Speaking of gas port erosion. Are you saying that the LMT enhanced carrier should be used when issues occur or to mitigate the problems from the beginning? Thanks.

I think it should be used from day one and especially if you are running a Suppressor!

C4